Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do you remove the Canopy from the 24gallon NanoCube DX?

trekbear

Hello all, Posted from the DIY forum too!!!!

I have researched extensively on this and other forums but no one has discussed or explained the procedure for removing the canopy of the 24gallon Nano Cube. I looked on JBJ's website and the instructions they do have are for the 12 gallon OG Cube nothing for the DX 12 or DX 24.

I believe in my readings that there are differences in the ways the series of cubes canopies are attached to the tank.

I tried last night using the way shown for the OG.. I am rather strong physically and it didn't give easily enough for my taste... so I didn't force it off... Thats all I need.. " OOPS I need another one" .

Anyway, Help in the removal of that darn canopy would be greatly appreciated. I need to get these extra lamps installed so that I can join in the fun of Reefing again.

I can't wait to get started.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Ok, The previous suggestions Didn't work.. HELP PLEASE!!!

Please help me. I tried to do the suggestion above but there is no TAB to align that I can see. I was also trying to use CCJUNG's suggestion to "Hug" it ( I assume he meant use slight steady pressure but it didin't really do much.

I took a picture of the hinge assembly below, do I have to clip the retainers here before the canopy will come off? any DIY'ers out there that have taken it off that can give me step by step instructions for the 24 Gallon JBJ NanoCube on this procedure. I have researched and researched but to no avail. HELP... JBJ is not very helpful in this matter.. thats for sure... YIKES

Any advice? I appreciate it...

Thanks,

Tom

?action=view¤t=04a4c16a.jpg

yeah, just did it today, you got to lift the hood all the way up 90 degrees with the cords out of the notches (at least the pump cord) and line up the little round "male" tabs with the slot on the "female" tabs. Now starting with the sponge side gently put pressure on the base of the hood like your gonna push the tabs out and rock the hood back and forth about and inch forward and back. The little male tabs will walk themselves out. then repeate gently with the pump side of the hood. going back in is way easier. Hope this helps!

Dan

Dan,

Thanks, For the excellent instructions... I am gonna do that as soon as I get home.

Muchas Gracias:D

Be careful, hes stating instructions for a 12g DX once again. You need to keep the lid closed and pull near the hinges.

Chris

Thanks Chris... I will follow your instructions... Should I pull one side 1st or 1 more than the other. or equally? egads!!! I am sweating bullets now..

Sheesh! they should have given a better manual on assembly/dissaembly huh! Or at least a PDF file like they have for the other 12 gallon...

You are the best, for such quick answers!!

Thanks

Tom

Yeah i dont know if ccjung is talking about my reply being for a 12 gal or not cuz i have a new 24gal saltwater setup. What i said works great for my tank. I'll tell you what, later tonght i will put up step by step pics for ya cuz i know, its nerv-racking taking that thing off. Dont do anything your not comfortable with yet. I'll get the pics up asap!

Dan

Chris and Dan,

I got it. Chris' idea of Hugging it worked, I just had to hug a wee bit tighter than I was before and it came right off.

It also appears that you must be applying the pressure right on the hinges housing on the canopy.

That will be good for others to know in the future if this thread gets searched in the future.

Thank you for your help!

Side Note: Dan, that would be a good idea for others to have pics to use as points of reference.

Thanks again!

Tom:D

No problem, typing word pictures is tough and is open to translation for the most part. But im glad i could help a little bit though. Anyway, quick question for y'all. When i run an extra powerhead in my tank it keeps the temp at 78-79 all the time. Is that ok? Should i get a smaller powerhead or anything? Or not even use and extra one? Im new to all this and really want to do it all right.

Dan

Dan,

Your tank is peaking @ 78-79 W/ 2power heads and lights or just the pumps? And if it's lights on are they stock or have you modded yet?

To help w/ flow, I drilled a hole in the back to the center chamber and put a 1/2" bulkhead in and attached a Y. To this added 2 locline hoses w/ flared returns. I have angled them 1 towards the top to aid in Oxygen exchange and movement and 1 towards What will be the upper half of the reef formation for keeping the detritus from the rocks.

I have a theory that I am going to try.. NO INHABITANTS, I repeat NO INHABITANTS!!!! until I know if this will work. I have upgraded the lights to 144 Watts total now. I want to run the pumps in a wave type flow. There is a Coral Life 19.99ish wave maker/power strip. I figure alternate the pumps every 3-4 mins and the pumps don't really get too warm keeping the temperature in the tank cooler.

I hope this works!!!

So far its steady as far as i can tell, lights on and off right at 78. I havnt modded yet. But looks like i will in the near future with an upgrade to 128watts. So are you saying you improved flow by basically having 3 ports on one pump? Or did you put a pump in that mid section for the Y-ed ports? Thanks for your help!

Dan

I have drilled the back center chamber and mounted a Y fitting w/ the two lockline hoses w/ flared returns, plumbed to a mag drive 2. I haven't finished modding everything so I haven't yet filled the tank to test temp w/ both running simultaneously w/ lights. I might really have to use the Coralife Wave maker device to run the pumps in wave so that they don't really run too long to get HOT enough (my theory! ;) ). I know the lights are going to be hot enough being doubled... hopfully the fans are good enough w/ the venting I am doing.

Hope this answers your questions... I will definately keep you posted if you like...

Regards,

Tom

Yes definately keep me posted! That sounds cool! I want to get some good ideas for mods and stuff because i just got a 2nd nano24 and want to trick it all out. Thanks tom!

Dan

P.s. you know its funny i had the lights off all night and the temp went UP 1degree to 79 whith lights on it 78, guess the fans cool pretty good.

Dan,

Thanks for the info about your temp. So, now I may mod the fans to be externally wired to a AC supply... Dang, it never stops.. LOL!

Maybe JBJ should be talking w/ Chris @ nanocustoms more than they do already, so they can get this setup pretty much out of the box.. :)

Found a moonlight mod I am gonna use. (looks similar to the R2 moonlight on Nanocustoms) here's where I got the idea... and to think.. I never thought of it myself...LOL

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...rget+moonlights

I plan on using the tube version if I can find one.. otherwise I will be ordering from Nanocustoms. Don't really care for the spotlight effect of the "mood" lights ;)

Anyway, I will keep you posted on that MOD.

Chat w/you later,

Tom

PS. Some pics of the tank? You got liverock in it?

Looking good.

Have a great day... and pass it on!

I'll keep you posted.. BIG AL's and I are having an issue w/ their UPS deliveries... LOL Hopefully, I will get my bulbs in sometime this week...I only ordered them 2 weeks ago... I am getting antsy waiting to setup the tank.. :)

TTYL,

Tom

Hi Sharon,

I added 2x36 watt kit from AH Supply. have them setup now as follows.

JBJ 50/50

RED SEA Actinic

Coralife 10k

JBJ 50/50

Total 144 Watts.

Moonlight, is a Closeout special "blue neon" 9" Tube I got from Wally World... ( Got the Idea from the DIY page ). It actually looks nice so far.

Now I have to get the Stand out and start setting up waiting on my liverock. I will be traveling for work the next 2 weeks, so I can't wait to get back and hopefully TBS will be able to ship then. I placed an order Last week and they said it would be 2-3 weeks backorder due to weather. So, the backorder is good for me since I can't do anything yet. :(

Have a great day!

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'm going to put TBS in my 24g, too! Can't wait--but I have to til after we get back from vacation. Are you going to start a thread when you set up your tank? I'd love to see it!

Sharon,

You bet, I am gonna start a thread. LOL I can't wait! After getting the liverock from TBS going to do a complete thread w/ updates of the progress and life that comes w/ the rock and what lives over the years of the tanks life.

I am sooooo excited to get back into this wonderful experience.

Have a great day!

Tom

Yipee, I can't wait! I'll live vicariously through your tank till I can start mine. Are you making any special requests for your rock from TBS? I've been making notes from other threads so that I'll know what to ask Richard for. Please don't forget to let me know when you start your thread, okay? Thanks!

Archived