Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Cubes cracking

kirei

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about nano-cubes cracking? A customer returned one today after 3 days with a huge crack right up the front. It was one of the new 24g ones.

Operator error...

Customer probably dropped it, or banged it really hard while it was in the box. People will not always tell the truth if they have to pay more money.

I had mine shipped from a mail order firm. Won't say who not their fault. The box looked fine from UPS, but once i set it up and had the water test going small amount of water started leaking from the back. I repaired it with silcone sealer and all is well. Next time a get a tank I will not order it online. A few bucks saved is not worth the risk as far as I am concerned.

It was set up and running for a few days before he returned it.

I'm thinking it also had to do with the ridgidness of the glass used, because there are no seams it doesn't allow for much movement. People planning on buying nano-cubes, make sure it's on a level surface.

kindaobsessed

I too have a new Nano DX 12 gallon. No leaks thank goodness when I tested it, but the front opening doesn't fit flush--anal problem with me--and part of the silicon affixing the second partition to the back is coming loose. Again, not a big problem, but does make me wonder about the quality control of JBJ. We are spending some decent bucks for all the Cube convenience so its a little disconcering.

Still, its all steam ahead when the liverock arrives Friday...

Problem with these all-in-one tanks...or any tank for that matter, if the surface it is residing on is not level, it will cause pressure points that will make certain areas crack.

This happened in my old acrylic tank that used to be on my desktop. Now for my Nano Cube DX that is coming in the mail, I've come prepared. I bought about a 1" thick "rubber mat" from wal-mart that I will put underneath it. It will help keep things balanced and mold accordingly to where the tank puts more pressure/less pressure.

The damn rug cost me 8 bucks and I'm gonna cut the darn thing -.-...

We haven't had any of ours returend yet....we have returned quite a few of the original nano's returned to JBJ for them being broken during shipping. When we sell one we take it out of the box check everything and then repackage it for the customer. They are often missing filter media as well...

kindaobsessed

Hey Chris,

Its great customer service when you check the contents before selling...wish my lfs did that. Anyway, like I said, the issues weren't enough for me to bring it back...maybe I'm just calming down in my advancing age.

Happy New Year

I've read of several Nano Cubes cracking without any reason after water was put in after a few days when they first came out so the crack may not have been his fault. If there is a micro crack, it will crack after a while.

Steve

I've heard of nanos cracking for no reason..###### i've seen it..

this is my 24 gallon on a very level (I checked it) wood desk

not a pleasant sight to see in your home office. :angry:

P1010067.sized.jpg

I have a new 24dx and no problems yet. Having install many, many large acyrlic tanks, I know the importance to a level surface. Since glass is more ridged that acrylic, this is even more important. Level isn't what most people think. The important aspect of it is the consistency between opposite corners of the tank. Of course, the supporting surface needs to be flat. Each opposing corners needs to be at the same elevation as the other. Then each of those need to be in line with the adjacent corner. The problems happens when one or more corners are "out" then the tank tries to conform to the shape and break due to stress. I too use some sort of hard, yet flexible material between the tank and the base to help eleviate pressure points.

I would hope not travis... although thats more than I would allow personally.

Besides, 20longs are glass siliconed together, which has more "give" than a solid paned of glass, as in the cubes.

One way you can check is to place the EMPTY tank on the surface and gently apply pressure to each corner, one at a time. If the tank rocks, you have a problem. This only works if you have two opposite high corners. I use a level across diagonally as well as adjacent corners. It is similar to a four legged table or chair that rocks. You don't want a tank to feel the same.

Originally posted by Travis

It's only off by like 1/2"-3/4".  I this a realy big problem?

On a tank that is 30 inches side to side, 1/2 inch is too much. I'd use shims to bring it to 1/8, 1/16 or even less if possible.

I got the 24 gallon tank and I havent had any problems with mine cracking but my bulbs where damaged in shipping. But i put mine on the jbj stand made for the tank. But other than that im really happy with the tank.

gunsablarrin

I thought cracking and pressure points were not that big a deal with small tanks like the nano cube because there really isn't that much water pressure.

This isn't true?

gunsablarrin

Also, now that I think of it, when I pushed on the corners of my tank it kind of move from the front left corner to the back right corner. I pushed a small piece of cardboard under the front left corner so that it woudn't wobble. It seems like the tank is now off about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch. I can tell be looking at the water line. It is the 12g nano. Do you think this will be a problem for me?

Thanks.

Archived