inTank Media Baskets

New Refugium

XXX

I'm joining the nano reef bandwagon. Been meaning to do it for quite some time. Just finished my Eclipse 2g/ Lowes Refugium. Holds water and works rather well. It will hand behind my 10 gallon Nano soon. One steady step at a time. I'll try and take lots of photos and keep everyone posted. ;)

This is with the light hood and Pico Skimmer attached. I'm getting ready to attach the PC lighting to the inside of the hood. Thanks for the kind words Tigahboy:blush:

Now Im new to refugiums....did you make it yourself or did you just buy a tank and drill it??? 2nd What pump do u plan on usinf to move the water??o rhow do you plan on moving the water?

The tank is an Eclipse explorer (2g). I just got out my trusty Dremel, Long Edge cutting drill bit, grout guide and went to work. Oh wait, and my SAFETY GOGGLES (you only have two eyes people, unless, well your parents are related):P Anyhow, Slow steady hand movements cuts like butter. I used 1" SCH 40 PVC and made my own rubber washers and tightened the heck out of it. I'll try and get together a total LOWES list together. I'll probably use a Maxijet 400 or 600. If you have anymore questions please ask. - Alex

sombreroisland

Hi XXX,

I really like your 2g fuge...like you are, I am also new to fuge...maybe the other guys can chime in...depending of course on what you want to keep, a fuge is a "refuge" for a lot of stuff...including copepods...now, if you put the skimmer in the refugium with a pump, won't that kill all the copepods before they get back into the return?

maybe you should put a divider between the fuge and the skimmer so that as water goes into the 2g, it goes into the skimmer chamber first...release the skimmed water into the fuge then go back to the main tank...

just some thoughts...

thanks,

sombrero

Thanks sombrero. You just set me back a week!:P You're right I should put a divider in there, I'll work on it tonight. I give you a shot when it's done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thats just an air driven skimmer, right? If so it wont harm pods in any way.

How did you glue the DIY tank? Silocone only or did you brace it?

BKtomodachi-

Even though it's an air driven skimmer, I'm afraid the collection cup will be full of copepods... the little guys really "stick" to the bubbles.

Sombrero -

Great catch!

XXX-

Oustanding work! I wish I had the ability to be so meticulous. Looks extremely well thought out and executed.

BTW- do you know where I can by a Pico Skimmer like yours? I've done searches, but no luck... did they perhaps stop making them?

Joe Mac

Ok, here's the scoop so far. I tweaked this refugium just a little too far and cracked it good:( So, I got a little crazy and drilled a 5 gallon glass tank I have and bam:) new refugium. Pic included.

Now, as far as the Piccolo skimmer is concerned - can't find them anywhere anymore. So, I 've started working on a similar design and in the process of constructing some. I well try and keep everyone up to date on progress.

sombreroisland

Hi XXX,

I suggest to read through this:

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm for your skimmer design.

According to this article, if we were to use a counter current skimmer of this size, we might as well not put any as it would be next to useless...

With the tank I'm planning, am deciding to use a venturi type of skimmer due to space constraints...

regards,

sombreroisland

Archived