Pod Your Reef

My Office Nano 2.5G

OxInYourBox

Base and Hood by Glazer. Very very high quality and the pics do not do it justice.

2X13 bookworms PC lighting. 1X6500K (Too be changed soon to a 10K+Actinic combo) & 1X12K Blue Realux bulb

AquaClear Mini Filter for water flow

5# of LR

4# of LS

Two (1 med & 1 tiny) Green striped shrooms

3 blue legged hermits

1 3" bristleworm and another much smaller one.

Been up and running for 6 or so days now. Planning on adding some polyps once the tank establishes itself. Also waiting for the large shroom to move as the current seems to be a bit much for him in his current position.

Front.jpg

Left%20Side.jpg

Right%20Side.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy quality of the bristleworm pic as I saw him and grabbed camera and took a shot as he was going back into the rock.

Bristle%20Worm.jpg

Shroom.

IMG_0499.jpg

i noticed your thermometer, and wanted to ask you... how accurate is it (in your experience). last weekend i was going to pick one up just like that, but upon comparison with a few others (of the same type) i noticed that they were a few degrees different. so, instead i wrung the wallet like a wet towel and got a digital with probe. did i waste my money? thanks!

=brandon

looking forward to seeing your tank mature and then stealing your aquascaping ideas for my own >=). kidding.

adinsxq-As a rule of thumb when I get a cheap thermometer I read all of the surrounding ones and take one that has a reading right in the middle of the group. So far this has worked well. However when I think I'm getting some weird numbers I bust out my digital with a probe :)

tinyreef- I was worried that the piece of LR wouldn't fit. Fortunately it did but just barely :) I'm adding more rock soon (small pieces with polyps) so the tank will look better on the sides.

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks great Ox! Man that is one chunk o' rock, hehe... nice little igloo like cave kinda door in the front?

I like the blue background, I debated on mine for a bit and ended up going black.. I ain't scraping it off but now I know what it WOULD have looked like...nice and bright. Oh and your lights, I dunno, I know pics and in person can look different and I know you were telling me how you didn't think they looked right but I think they look great.

Have fun with it and definitely keep us updated with pics on it's progress!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Glazer-Thanks man. My tank won't be nearly as nice as yours but the base and canopy will be though :) I've got a black background on my FW plant tank but I love the blue much much more. I've been leaving the blue bulb on more than the white bulb as I like the blue tint over the white which seems to overpower the tank a bit. Hopefully a 10K+blue bulb will alleviate that :) As far as the igloo effect I'll post pics of my 42G hex which is aquascaped as a cave err well you'll just have to see the pics. Had a few in me when I did it :)

Metznreef-Probably gonna stick with shrooms and polyps as far as coral's go. I've got a 10g in the works which should be much more involved coral wise. Be on the lookout for that.

ajroahkni-Got it at my LFS. My friends there said that it came out of a 675 gallon custom reef that a customer decided to disassemble as they were spending too much $$$ on it maintenence wise when they weren't even there to enjoy it. Don't have an idea what type of rock it is.

Anyways on to the updated pics of the tank with my auto top off setup from Physh1.

Overall View:

Overhead.jpg

Here's my 1G reservoir. I've got a Mini Jet 404 pumping. I have the height just right. My first attempt left me with 4 inches of extra tubing. Man it sucked seeing the water come with in 2 inches of making it into the elbow lol.

Reservoir.jpg

Side Shot:

Side.jpg

Parallel to surface:

Top.jpg

Until next time....

I think this is the best side if the rock.

Right%20Side.jpg

it would be much better for attaching frags. if you place that rock on the right side of the tank with the nice surface facing the center you could then qadd another peice of LR to the left side and one more peice like a bridge connecting the two. or maybe get a peice or two of tonga branch rock.

hey ox, what brand of float valve is that? did you put the tubing on it?

i'm using a ultralife but the suction cup comes off alot , i also like the water topoff line. i use a eheim 1250 in a 55gal drum out in the garage. it has to pump about 10ft thru the wall and about 3 ft of head height. i had a disater one day after taking the canopy off i guess i knocked the fill line out of the sump area and that night asked my wife if she spilled something infront of the tank! the carpet was soaked in about a 4' area around the tank, i was in the doghouse that night:o

LOL! my wife only tolerates my tanks, she's not real fond of them. maybe because how much i spend on them all the time;)

i know i'm not the only one with a spouse that feels this way

Very nice setup you have there. Man that rock just about fitted in there. :D

Well, I just cant wait to see this tank in its matured stage with corals growing everywhere. Keep up the excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to change the tank around a bit when I added some zooanthids, 2 peppermint shrimp, and some turbo's so I flipped the rock on it's side...

Aerial%20Tank.jpg

The orange zoos...

Orange%20Zoo

The purple zoos that didn't want to open up lol

Purple%20Zoo

Had to refrain from buying some green star polyps this time. :P

Cool zoo's Ox and that's definitely a real pritty rock! hehehe

How's the top off system working out for you? I need a testimonial here... I'm thinking I want to go that route on my minibow... something about having IV bags hangin' all over the room is kinda getting on my nerves...lol

I love my auto top offs. I would never go back to pouring in by hand esp since I take 2 and 3 day vacations every few weeks. I've got 3 of physh1's units and have 2 up and running with no problems (42G hex and the 2.5G). The 3rd is going to be put to use within a week on my 10G nano.

Only problems that I've ran into is remembering to unplug the switch before I do a water change or mess around in the tank. Took me a few times to figure out what was happening :) My 2.5G goes thru around 1G a week and my 42 G goes thru 2.5G a week or so with just a normal output strip light so it's pretty cool only having to refill once a week. Would goto a larger res but I like stuff being hidden :)

Tomorrow I'm gonna go check out the store and see what they have left over from the frag meet :)

Picked up a small frag of GSP and 4 small frags of tree leather. All doing good so far. I'm sure I'll be fragging the tree leather soon. Just in time for my 10G tank (check out my other thread). Please excuse the algae. Decided to take the pic before I started cleaning once I realized I'd scare everything into closing as did half of the orange zoos in the pic...

Close%20GSP.jpg

Tree%20Leather%20Side.jpg

Front%20Dirty.jpg

Archived