inTank Media Baskets

Moon Light Installed, its about time

C Jerome

Over the summer when I upgraded to my new MH/PC hood I included a switch and circuit for my moon light. I found this really nice LED light cannons that are used on the inside of a PC case. I fired it up and zap fried the led on my 12v system, tried again zap there go two, I then realized that I needed some resistors so I ordered another one but did not know what resistors. Project went to the back burner until las week.

Last week I came across the LED and thought to go ask a physics professor what I needed, I told him I needed 5.9 volts from 12v he wrote out some equations and said you need two resistors wired like this, went over to his lab and gave me the two that I needed, now thats why i love this school.

Yesterday I went to they physics workshop and they professor let me use the soldering iron and I put it all together and last evening I pluged it in and mounted it in my hood aiming up into my MH reflector. For a change I could not wait for it to get dark so I could really check it out. I turned off all the lights and took these photos.

I do get shimmer and the light is spread over the tank with a little concentration in the bottom right, but not a direct beam, I think it looks "natural". Obviously it looks better in really life then in my photos.

Jerome

1P1010004.jpg

2P1010007.jpg

3P1010009.jpg

It is a nice level of light, it is hard to really capture how it really looks with my 2mp camera. I agree that many have moon lights that are too bright and or focused.

Jerome

I have one of those auto 3 LED things. It works well and just branched off a line from my fans and it just stays on 24/7. Looks really good. A soft glow with shimmers and after your eyes adjust to the dark, you can still see things. Your's look just about right. I mounted mine below the reflector in the hood and aimed it up.

I have a three LED one for my 15 gallon at home and really like it. I also have mine running from the same power source as my fans, seperate switches.

Archived