Pod Your Reef

Vacations

mik

Just wondering what do you guys do to maintain your tanks on vacations? do you leave them alone or have someone come over tp take care of them.

on weekend trips i normally let them be but on longer trips i usually have people come over to check on them.

I have a friend that is into tanks too, take care of my tank. Although he's never owned a reef, he's had saltwater, and has a bunch of freshwater tanks. So I'm comfortable with him doing the basic stuff my tanks needs while I'm gone.

I went backpacking in Costa Rica and Panama awhile back for a month and had my father take care of my three tanks. He came over every 4 days. I wrote down 3 pages worth of instructions and made him come over once for a 'mock' trial maintenance run. Everthing turned out just fine. Biggest problem he had was he couldn't adjust my skimmer which didn't really matter anyways. Auto top-off float switches are a must. Good luck with it!

I've got to get an auto topoff or I'm going to be screwed my pump will be running dry after 4 days...I had my 20g reef at home for a year while I was at college in the dorm with mom taking care of it. That worked out well....When I got home my filter was so clogged the only thing running was my powerhead and all my corals were dead except red shrooms and brown button polyps.

Blind Tree Frog

I plan on just asking a co worker to top it off for me every couple of days when I go on vacation. A massive water change before I leave and when I get back. Coral that wants to be fed food might be a little hungry, but it should live.

I agree on the autotop off...I couldn't live without them. I could stear you to a good supplier of them.......his name is Cameron and goes under the name of Physh1.......oh my god....he posted just above me.....maybe you could pm him.....

do yourself a favor and do it......

I want to start a business that does that kind of stuff... Like an aquarium maintenance, and do it for ppl who go on vacation....I need to get the NALGAS though to start the business

i would love to buy an autptop off .......water keeps evaporating from mytank and i hate topping it off like half a gallon at a time cuz then i get hair algae outbreaks.....

Archived