SaltCritters.com

Keeping water off bulbs in a system six

JayGlaze379

Hey, after numerous helpful replies from several people, I decided to get a 2x13w conversion for my eclipse system six hood from A H Supply. My question now is how do you keep water off those bulbs? And do you do anything to waterproof the sockets? Also for those who have put fans under there, how, and where did you mount them? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to make another mistake like buying the eclipse in the first place ;). Thanks again,

Jason

from the looks of that pic, that's still way too much moisture.... especially without waterproof endcaps. that set-up is a huge electrical fire waiting to happen. if you get that much condensation under your hood, then i suggest that you either remove the fliptop lid, or just leave it open at all times. i had an eclipse12 that had the 2x32w retro in it, and i removed the lid. and i would still see some condensation, but nowhere near as much as that pic. as far as protecting the bulbs from splash, i went to homedepot and had a piece of glass cut to fit on the top of the frame. but i had waterproof endcaps, so i wasn't as worried as i would have been without.

Well, that isn't actually my hood, just a picture of one I found on the net. I don't think mine collects that much moisture, but I still need a way to keep my bulbs dry. Also any ideas on waterproofing my end caps would be appreaciated. i was thinking about just siliconing around the base of the bulbs. It can just be peeled off when I have to change the bulbs. Not the best idea, but Im at a loss here..

that's a tough one.... i assume that it would be ok to use silicon to seal the endcaps, but i would still be wary of moisture build up. maybe tomorrow someone will be able to give you a better idea. i know there has to be a way to water-proof the endcaps....

i found that if you add a fan, there will be minimal condensation on your light fixture and inside the hood. try to go to target or home depot for one of those cheap clip on fans, even a computer fan will work...aim it with air blowing INSIDE at your lights and see if it remedies the water condensating in the hood.

Well, for lack of any other ideas I have some liquid electrical tape. Im going to paint it on the sockets, and base of the bulb. One or two coats should provide a good seal. Just for good measure Im going to put some heat shrink tubing over the socket and bulb base as well. Maybe overkill, and I know Im going to be kicking myself when I have to change a bulb, but better safe than sorry. Im also going to cut a T-12 plastic cover, and put that over the bulb for extra splash protection. I'm gonna put this all together tomorrow. I cant wait to see what the tank looks like with some pc's. Also, any ideas for a reflector? Im just going to paint the inside of the hood white.

Archived