Pod Your Reef

Fuge Light and macro algae

smoothlarryhughes

smoothlarryhughes

Got this light from K-mart. Its a 20watt halogen desk lamp. Will this work for growing my macro algae? Also here is a pic of my macro algae. What kind is this? I thought it was chaetomorpha but i'm not sure. The guy at the fish store did not know. Any help would be great.

Thanks

100_0698.JPG

100_0699.JPG

100_0701.JPG

The macro looks like chaeto to me.

20 watts of halogen is equivalent to about 5 watts fluorescent. Most of what you get is heat. Try a 19 watt PC flood in an incandescent socket. Cheap and effective.

It doesn't look like my Chaeto. Mine is like green steel wool. I have a pic but don't know how to put it on here so if you email me I'll send you the pic. I don't know about the light, I have a Coralife mini-aqualight on top of my whisper 4 w/d that I'm using as a refugium and it works great. Lana

Chaeto likes a certain specturm of light I have found. I had one of those Walmart LOA lamps over mine and it grew like crazy. When that bulb burned out, I used a regular flourescent bulb for about a week and growth came to a halt. So it has been my experience that you get better growth from chaeto with "daylight" colored bulbs. Like 6500k or higher.

some of it looks like caulerpa to me... maybe a mix of chaeto + caulerpa?

are there little "feathers" growing on some of the longer stems?

a lot of it looks like caulerpa to me. also, ditch that halogen, they get way too hot. jalli makes great 13w or 18w fixtures perfect for refugiums.

Archived