Cultivated Reef

What size skimmer?

ReefinDonna

ReefinDonna

I have a 30 gallon tank that I just setup and need to get a skimmer for it. I have seen the CPR BakPak once for just over $100 and the AquaC Remora one for about $150. Do these skimmers do a good enough job? Or do I need to spend more money?

Thanks for any input.

Donna

I have the AquaC Remora on my 20 Gallon and I think that it is the best. My friends tried other skimmers and just ended up trashing them for an aquaC Remora. Go for the Remora, it is better than the CPR.

ReefinDonna

Thanks for the input guys, I got a skimmer today that one of the local reefers built me for free with some extra stuff he had.. I just had to buy a pump for it. (Rio 2500) Hopefully it works good. I thought I was going to save a lot of money, That pump cost me $70. I know I could have got it online cheaper but I didn't want to wait for it.

Donna...

ReefinDonna

Thanks for the advice cadesun, I have been using rio's for years on my freshwater and have never noticed a problem with that unless they are all dirty and not clean. But then you will have the problem with all PH's.

Donna...

i think it's more of a saltwater than freshwater problem. but if you have been having luck with them, by all means, stick with them!

i have heard it's something to do with the different types of algae which grow in saltwater and can gum up the impeller. apparently saltwater algae is more viscous and can do this more easily than freshwater algae.

Calcification gets in the impellar housing and the impeller "binds" on restart. My Rio 800 does it ALL the time! Clean it religiously and you'll be fine

ReefinDonna

Yeah, I usually clean out all pumps and other equipment when I do water changes every other weekend. I know I bought some power heads from walmart before. I think they were regent brand? But anyway I used them for the undergravel in my cichlid tank and they would never start up after shutting down. I went through prolly 4-5 of them too thinking maybe I was breaking them some how. Well thanks for the advice all and I will keep an eye on that impeller.

Thanks,

Donna...

Archived