red tree coral

mushrooms (1 hairy 1 frilly)

small frag of daisy polyps

eelgrass

6 blue leggeds

2 red leggeds

12 astrea snails

1 lettuce nudibranch...

mated percula clowns (at least they act like it) (1.5 inch long)

pair of cleaner shrimp

this tank has been running for 2 and a half weeks I'm glad you like it...more pictures will follow

my modified eclipse 12 hood (more add-ons coming up)

my favorite coral in the tank right now is my green open brain coral. it has really nice colors on it. what do you think? (only $13)

not only that but i was also able to get a good shot on it too with my crummy digicam

Nice setup neumahrs!

They brain is very cool and I like the rocks! I am looking for a small brain myself.... hold the snide remarks...lol I am finding only large ones. Says in your location, you are from Skokie, would that be Skokie, Illinois by any chance?? If so tell me where you got the brain! hehe

<

They brain is very cool and I like the rocks! I am looking for a small brain myself.... hold the snide remarks...lol I am finding only large ones. Says in your location, you are from Skokie, would that be Skokie, Illinois by any chance?? If so tell me where you got the brain! hehe>>

Yes i would be from skokie, IL. I got the brain at a local LFS called Old orchard Aquarium. Its located on 9235 skokie blvd. I also work there so (except for wednesday and saturday). Just ask for Sei Youn if you come by.

anyone have any good suggestions on what i should add next? I was debating between a metallic star polyps, pulsing xenia, small blue leather, green bubble coral

Nice setup! I see you have opted for various type of LR and LS, very clever--lots of diversity. Loads of critters too--isnt 12 Astreas a little too much for that tank? I have 8 in my tank and I am sometimes worried they wont have enough algae to eat--what do you think?

Love the brain coral. I have one just like yours, except its a mix of green and red.

Those things cost a bomb over here, I bought mine for £20 --$32 (someplaces are charging upto $72...

Anyway, about your next coral purchase; the bubble and leather grow too fast and shadow other corals--I got rid of my leather corals. Still have my bubble, but I might just sell it once I have other corals to take its place. Xenia are nice, but they can grow like weeds, and its really hard to get rid of them. Star polpys may be the best looking, though they can over take a rock etc so place them away from the other rocks.

One coral I would recommend is the Candycane coral. Get a small frag and stick it in the sand. Its a hardy coral and doesnt grow like weeds, and looks very nice too.

Nice setup you have. I got your PM just as I was posting here in this thread. :)

far as the astrea snails....i had 12 down to 9 now...i always loose some so i get extra ones. Plus i had a real bad algae problem the first week but the algae has all but disappeared. I think my next coral will be a red blastamussa (spelling is wrong i bet), and a red/green candycane. What do you think?

Hi, a red Blastamussa and a Candycane corals are fine additions. Definately the Candycane, but do a little search on the Red blasto, I recall some important point about them, but I cant remember what it is exactly. They may have a special requirement--dont remember exactly.

But both look good and are hardy with the right conditions.

jollybluepunk : thanks for the compliment (unfortunately i put a 2 inch scratch on the front from the decorating, but fortunately i was able to remove it)

dimensions are i think 21 inches long in the from and 16 inches long on the back 10 inches wide by i thing 12 inches???I'm guessing here..but i'll grab a ruler when i get a chance

so my tank is getting a light upgrade (yay :D). I want to keep some small clams so i'm thinking two more 32 watt csl retros (it fits with inches to spare so I'm going to order some tomorrow( thank god for wholesale prices). Heat will be my enemy..lol....i'm thinking of two 50mm fans with a thermal sensor. and a auto topoff unit...(must stop spending money)...anyone think this might be light overkill?..if you are wondering...I don't want a metal halide because i want to experiment and see how far i can take an eclipse 12 for reef purposes (so is the marineland representative of this area).

• 2 weeks later...

I have an opportunity to get an eclipse 12 with an empty hood. What kind of lights would you put in if money was no object? I'm not saying it's not, but I'm just curious, what will fit under there? What's the best lighting for the small square footage?

THANKS

Robin

the thing with lighting with the eclipse 12 is the evaporation due to heat. Also you might have tank overheating. the best bet though would be power compacts. custom sealife has a retrofit 32 watt made specificaly to replace the builtin eclipse 12 13 watt. that would be enough lights for most lowlight-mid light corals. i'm not sure but i think the 96 watt quad might fit in an eclipse 12... but you'll have really bad heat problems...but you might want to research it.

Archived