Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

snail

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

im finding these TINY TINY snails....

they are VERY detailed and fancy. its almost thorny-like, but the "thorns" are REALLY thin and fragile. the biggest one is 2 mm and the body of them are offwhite....but when retracted, the bottom of them is a dark-red. heres some pics, which make the shell look yellower instead of white...

they are really attractive and i want to keep them! (which is why im assuming its going to end up being a coral eating poisoness snail or something crazy~)

any ideas??

thanks

Interesting. I have not idea what it is, but I have some of those shells for my hermit crabs.

They are cool looking, whatever they are.

I totally just read a page outlining all kinds of snails ... but I can't find the link :( I'm pretty sure yours is a baby of one I saw there.

o yea i remember those....those are the african toxin nuclear snail.....those ummm...eat tanks....

juz joshin interesting never saw that b4

AReeferIsExpensive

hummm~ thanks for trying

went to the bookstore today, no luck :(

back to lookin on the net i guess! i dont know if they are reef-safe b/c its in a LR cycle bucket still.

AReeferIsExpensive

okay..im leaning towards Chicoreus Pomum Apple Murex~ or something like that...but i cant figure out what they eat. raaaaaaaaaaah~!!!!

redneckvampire

I know what they eat...other snails. I used to have one that hitched in on a rock. I had it for over a year and never did any damage to anything other than the tiny snails (stomo...something or other...you know the tiny, harmless algae eaters). I used to watch it pin one down and use some appendage to drill a hole through the shell and pull the meat out.

redneckvampire

I'm really not sure where the rock came from, but the one I had looks exactly like the picture shown. It to started out tiny, but within the year it had grown to about 15mm long. I've tried to look up information about it too, but never found anything that looked close. When I realized it was eating other tiny snails I was going to flush it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Besides I had hundreds of stomo's (or whatever) and only 1 of it. So it was well fed anyway. It never got large enough to bother my other snails, but I don't know if it ever would. I'd keep few of them for an interesting conversation piece. Most of the time it would hide, only coming out to hunt for food. The only thing is if you have certh or nassarus snails. They might be small enough for prey if it gets as big as mine did.

redneckvampire

Poirieria, Typhinae, Trophoninae, Pterynotus & Typhis subfamilies was the closest that I ever got to an identification. Some of them do live off the coast of Florida too. But its a pretty wide selection to choose from and I never got anything that matched exactly. HTH

AReeferIsExpensive

thanks for the help~ im going to keep them b/c they are tiny, and if the size starts to make me nervous or any snail deaths occur, ill trade or donate them

Archived