Coral Vue Hydros

So hot in here...

Sahin

Londons been having a heat wave for the past three days. Yesterday the temp in my room was 88C

The tank reached 84F and I turned off the lights. Overnight the tank didnt cool enough and still maintained 82F

This morning I took the 3inch fan off the lights and put in into the tank aimed at the water. The temp is now 80F in the tank. I have the lights also running.

Damn heat wave / freak weather.

We dont have AC in our homes as the weather only rarely gets this hot and only for 5 days or so per year. Damn British weather...

Anyway all my corals are fine except for the leather coral. It hasnt opened up and slightly tilting.

Anything else I can do to help the leather coral?

Thanks.

Get a microchiller or ice probe. I have mine on (temp hit 96 yesterday) and the heater actually clicked on a few times to keep the temp steady.

A microchiller would make more sense if you frequently had temps like this.... but if it's only a few days a year, I'd go with the ice-in-a-bag chiller. Take some top-off water, put it in a doubled plastic bag, and freeze. Then float it in the tank.

This is what we did for the (freshwater) Eclipse 5 when we had 95* days before the apartment people enabled the air conditioning for the summer. That tank was the one with the worst temp; the others had enough volume to mitigate the temp swing slightly. The fish and shrimp did not suffer any adverse effects, and we could tell they appreciated it-- they would hang out near the ice bag.

hehe, welcome to our world Sahin. It's unbearabley hot and humid just about all summer long over here. I have to leave my A/C on all day to prevent my apartment from bursting into flames. I hate wasting energy like that when I'm not home, but it's all I can do to keep my reef from boiling.

Thanks for the ideas. Since this only occurs a few days a year, I will go with the low-tech ideas.

A proper chiller costs about £400 over here, way too expensive.

I have looked around for the small chiller probe things but cant locate any here.

I am using a fan to blow air onto the water. I have gone through 0.5litre of water in topup. But at least I have the temp stable at 80F

The leather coral is slowly perking up as well. So things getting back to normal in Sahins Reef World. :)

I will be better prepared next time this happens at least.

empty soda bottles, filled with dechlorinated tap water and put in yer icebox works great. float them ontop of the tank onea t a time, it will bring the temp down.;)

LMAO

Icebox? I thought you were 26? You sound like my dad. Do you bearl the earl too? Or put on your slacks in the parlor? LOL. Sorry, man. Couldn't resist :P

Originally posted by Satchmo

LMAO  

Icebox?  I thought you were 26?  You sound like my dad.  Do you bearl the earl too?  Or put on your slacks in the parlor?  LOL.  Sorry, man.  Couldn't resist :P

hehe, when Dave went to school he had to walk 5 miles thru knee deep snow, a coke (pop back then) was 5 cents and a dollar bought you two full tanks of gas.

Satch.... I was translating fer the English lad "across the pond" so as to not confuse his simple Brit intelect.. Chip Chip Cheerieo

Bangers and mash, Pack of fags and shieat..... lets all get ####ed

Roightly so .. Off we go then........ CHEERS !:P

I still watch the "tellie"..... hmmm perhaps they call Ice boxes refigerators now in the Emerald isle?

ps: Im just Joshing Govnah..... :woot:

pss: Who won the revolutionary war?X)

went swimming in a buddys pool with ma chick, looked at the thermometer... 84 ! Holy shnikies ! I was looking fer the chiller.....:P then I realized....... no fish... phew.X)

Archived