Innovative Marine Aquariums

Toad's 2.5 PHASE 2 (picture intensive)

CodeToad

Well, I am finally done with my upgraded 2.5 gallon. I decided to add a fuge and I wanted to keep the pico theme, so I just went small with everything... I will explain more with the pictures.

Here is the stand I made for the display tank and the fuge:

fullstandclosed.jpg

Here is the open cabinet doors in the stand open where the sump/fuge stays:

fullstandopen.jpg

Here you can see the fuge where I have about 2 pounds of live sand, 3 pounds of live Fiji rock, and some Chaetomorpha macro algae that is growing wild :) You can also see some of the baffles. I used Plexiglas from HD and GE Silicon II WITHOUT the mildew resistant stuff. I have 1 13w 6400K running 24/7. Return pump is a Mag Drive 1.5:

fullfuge.jpg

Here is the right hand side of the fuge. I wanted to maximize space for the macro and LR so I arranged the overflow baffles in a triangular pattern so they only occupy the back corner:

sidefuge.jpg

Here is the auto top-off system I made along with my electrical mess:

electrical.jpg

Here is the overflow system. The box in the back is a breeder box with a Plexiglas divider so I don't loose siphon when power goes out (been tested and it works :D)

overflow.jpg

Here is the inside overflow box. It is a little corner filter that I modified, its looks like it belongs, nice and rounded:

overflowbox.jpg

And finally I got a 100mm macro lens for my Canon 10D for my birthday the other day and I was just testing it out, so here is my Yuma Ricordia Garden:

yumagarden.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Originally posted by lgoins

The most impressive 2.5 set up yet.  Like to see more pics of the actual corals and inside the tank.

Thanks!!! I forgot to take pictures of the tank itself, but here is a picture before I changed over to the sump/fuge:

Pico112003.jpg

I really like that cheap overflow solution you came up with. Is there any way you could post some more pics of it from different angles (to show the placement of the divider, etc.) ? I'd like to do something like that for my 10 gallon. :)

-Dan

I can try to get some more detailed pictures here in a couple of days, thanks for the kind words :)

Lighting in the display tank is a 2x13W PC 10,000k and 03 actinic, the sump is a 1x13W PC 6400K that is on 24/7.

Damm Toad that is sweeter than sugar F... that's what i call a complete 2.5 nano-reef

i am so impressed with everything from set-up planning and choices for stocking the tank

i too am interested in the overflow that you made... I want one:)

movingshadow

whoa! very, very nice dood!!! that is next to liquid's THE nicest 2.5 I've ever seen. Plus I gotta give you MAD props for the in stand sump and all other work... makes me wish I had more time and was more DIY inclined....

again, PROPS DOOD!!!

It's amazing what the size reference does. In the first pic, it looks like a full size tank. Only when you see the water bottle do you get an idea of how tiny it is.

Originally posted by Chyendra

Those are beautiful zoos! Where did you get them?

Almost everything comes from Bryan over at thelogicalreef.com. GREAT guy, great service, great and corals.

Thanks so much guys, the kind words make it worth the time I put into it. I will get some more detailed pictures soon, but feel free to ask any questions :D

Those zoos are awesome. I second the Logical Reef. I've got my first shipment from them (rics and candy cane) coming sometime today. Bryan has been GREAT to deal with.

Well I got some more pictures today of the setup, here goes...

Here is the corner overflow baffles I was talking about. I did it this way to save space and maximize the area in the refuge for the LS, LR, and macro.

overflowcorner.jpg

Here is a better shot of the baffles that seperate the return pump, auto top-off output, floatswitch, and such. Between the baffles and the Chaetomorpha I don't really get any microbubbles in the display.

baffles.jpg

This is a side shot of the breeder box I turned into an overflow box. You can see where the u-tube enters the water level is higher because there is a baffle there so that when power goes out the water leveles equalize, causing the tube to stop draining water, but not loose siphon.

overflowbox.jpg

And then here is a shot of the overflow from the inside of the tank.

overflow.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to let me know :) Thanks guys!

Archived