Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Proper Nail Gun Use - 101"

ross76053

As you may or may not know, I'm currently working on a stand/canopy for a 75-gal coral tank. Thought I'd share my "lessons learned" from last night.

========================

"Proper Nail Gun Use - 101"

Step #1 - Slow down. Forget that you've been working on your project for 4 freakin' months. The most important thing is safety (clue to where I'm going w/this).

Step #2 - While using a nail gun, realize there may be "hidden" nails underneath the wood you're attempting to nail through, from previous layers, that may cause the trajectory of nails in your nail gun to deviate from their designated target.

Step #3 - Measure the length of the nails in your gun.

Step #4 - Taking the length of your nails, double that amount and keep all phalanges at least that distance from said nail gun.

Step #5 - Proceed with caution.

=========================

"Deviation from Proper Nail Gun Use - 101"

Step #1 - See first attachment below, "Ruh-Roh.jpg", showing protruding nail from cabinet.

Step #2 - See second attachment below, "OhCrap.jpg", showing damage from said nail.

Step #3 - Freely use words you haven't used since you were a teenager.

Step #4 - Visit (literally) the following URL - http://www.carenow.com/UrgentCare.htm.

Sep #5 - Wait a couple of hours for your turn to see the doctor. Realize you can't even play the bowling game on your cell phone while you wait because your bowling finger is jacked up.

Step #6 - Get a tetanus shot (in the arm, thank goodness).

Step #7 - At the nurses request, loosen your pants (dang, I knew it).

Step #8 - Get an antibiotics shot.

Step #9 - Get a Toridol shot (for pain, which came in handy).

Step #10 - Have X-Rays taken to ensure you haven't shattered the bone in your finger.

Step #11 - Eat Vicodin prescribed by your doctor as needed.

=========================

Note: From personal experience, I fully recommend adhering to Proper Nail Gun Use - 101. If for no other reason, take a look at the number of steps in each scenario. Proper Nail Gun Use - 101 is a huge time-saver.

Good luck,

Ross

damn, that is nasty... the stand looks great tho, and you didn't even get any blood on it.
*heh* Yeah, I'm looking on the bright side - no damage to the stand. Very good point.

Ross

i dont even mess with those things, way too dangerous

they aren't that dangerous, you just have to pay attention (no offense, ross ;) ) i did that same thing only with a drill-luckily a)drill didn't have sharp point B) drill bit didn't come out the other side of my finger.

Man, I got all kinds of attention from the wife after I shot myself. I'm a lucky man (I'll leave it at that).

She loves the stand - she was afraid it'd turn out looking like ghetto furniture. She's excited now. Of course, she saw "Nemo" and wants clownfish. And of course, being the giving husband that I am, I'll accomodate her. :D

Ross

Reefer_Buddha

drills are easy and i dont see how ppl hurt themselves with em. I drill acrylic all the time never ran a bit into my finger or hand.

Glad to hear it's working out to the best. :)

Does she want Dori and Nemo in the tank? Ex G/F wanted Dor and Nemo. Hence why she's ex now. :)

Yeah Reefer drills are easy but a nail gun is something completely different. A bit more power pushing it. :)

Do you guys ever watch Monster House on the Discovery channel or whatever it's on? Last week's episode with the Hawaiian house one of the guys put a nail through his finger with the nail gun. It was so bad that they fuzzed it out when he held it up to the camera. :x

Hope you're ok! :(

P.S., the stand looks great!

dud i feel you pain. i got shot in head with a nail gun while i was helping a freind build his house. said friend proceded to nail up a facer baord on the peak of his split level roof while i was holding the board in place, and well he missed the board and blew through the other one and i got hit in the top of the forehead with the nail and went sliding off the roof. no major injuries however (thank god) as it was just a glancing blow. (still hurt like hell though) although there were a few bruises from the fall in places that should not be bruised.

moral of the story nail guns are not toys...

or never agree to hold a board while your dumb @$$ friend tries to attach it to your head with a nail gun

The finger is fine - it was actually not too bad the following day.

You should have gotten a picture before you removed the nail. That would help me understand what happened better.
The nail wasn't in my finger for any period of time. I'm guessing a total of 1/100th of a second. My reflexes were really on that day.

Ross

Originally posted by ross76053

The finger is fine - it was actually not too bad the following day.

I'm guessing a total of 1/100th of a second.  My reflexes were really on that day.

Ross

LOL

Ya, pain will do that.

Hope it feels better.

At least ya got some TLC from the wife. WOOHOOOO! :woot:

Nice stand!

Archived