SaltCritters.com

another ac500 modified fuge

cthedaytrader

cthedaytrader

I saw all of the ac500 fuges, and I just had to do it to.

I took it one step further though. Inspired by Steve961 from this post: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...highlight=ac500

1. I did the same thing by adding the baffle, except I used the goop, then covered it with silicone.

2. Flow: I took off the black collar off around the intake tube, this allowed me to reduce the flow even further and in finer increments. You can see in my pics that you can really bring the flow down a lot more, in the test it could be brought down to dribble, on the tank it doesnt go down as far. But its fine on my 15g.

3. I like to run carbon and media so I tried to simply put it in the space created between the fuge and intake, but it kept floating away. So I modified the basket, and made a cool mini media basket. Then just cut the 500 filter media and it works perfect.

A pic of the baffle

cthedaytrader

low flow, for some reason it doesnt get as fine on the tank as it did in the sink. But its still fine on the 15, no sand storms or corals flying around lol

cthedaytrader

What do you think?

My only concern is that the flow wont go through the entire filter. But the flow in the fuge is great, just enough, but not too much. I also have pently of light from my MH over the tank, so I dont need light on the fuge.

cthedaytrader

working great so far, both the top and bottom sponges are dirty, my tank is clear of any small particles, so I know the untire filter cartridge is getting a good flow.

The pull by the intake tube is a bit strong, but that was remdied by placing a rock in front to avaoid the xenia from being pulled toward it. But the current isnt too strong in the tank, its actually good for my sps, it provides a wide current across 3/4 of the surface.

I liek having the floss and carbon to keep the tank free of debris and keep chemical warfare in check.

Im sure Ill get a nice pod population, my other HOB floss always had tons of pods in it when I would clean it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good work! Question for you. Noticed you left the sponges in the refugium. Are you worried that the sponges will become a nitrate sink? How often will you plan on rinsing the sponges? Not sure if this is such a problem with these filters. With the canister filters, the sponges were known to cause an increase in nitrates.

cthedaytrader

Hi, sorry I have not posted any pics yet. I am away from my tank right now Spring Break, so its alone for a week. I will post some pics when I get back, so long as it is still there lol!!!! Everything things fine with the fuge. I put small piece of grape calp in there it has attached and is growing fine. I keep the flow kind of low and I make sure the water level is high.

The main problem that I have is because this was a late addition there was just barely enough room behind the tank for the 500, (not going to move the whole tank and stand for an inch or 2 of space), so the outlet ramp is kind of far out into my tank, rather then towards the back of the glass, which would be bit better because there wouldnt be as much of an over hang in the tank now. Plus I had changed my float switch, which made my water level a little lower and made the flow drop down too much in the tank. I raised the float switch and that helped that problem, so now the flow goes over the top of the tank.

Sponges

Actually I did not like the sponges, they got very dirty and gunked up, so that worried me, plus the sponges are designed to be biological filters, and I really wanted large partical filtration. I ddint want a nitrate problem in my little tank, so I took them out and just put floss in instead, which I have used for 2 years in my old HOB. I dont like to clean the filters often so this seems to work better.

thanks for the interest, and I will post some pics when I get back

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea, anyone back me up, take that "filterfloss" section out as well, and you can put your tanks heater in that area. That filtration method isn't completley needed on a saltwater tank.

cthedaytrader

actually a lot of people that modify the ac500 do just that. But I have a skimmer on my tank and the heater is in there.

I like to have floss it keeps the large debri down and my tank clear, plus I tend to use a baster to blow corals and raock clean of any debris, and this way the filter sucks most if it back up.

Sorry I didnt post pics, unfotrunelty while I was away my GFCI receptor tripped and I didnt have any other pumps or heaters on a backup outlet, so my tank crashed and I lost a lot.

I posted some pics here that you can look at before and after the crash

:(

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...3992#post243992

cthedaytrader

I took off the plate that is between the motor and the intake tube, it slides out. It allows for more control of the flow when it is gone. You still get a good amount of suction by the intake tube, but it allows you to really cut back on the flow into the tank. If the water level is high enough you shouldnt have anice flow over the top of the surface. And no I do not have the surface skimmer.

I was wondering if you are suppossed to let the motor run in water like when you tested it. Back when me aquaclear mini was used for fresh water I was always fearful of this while cleaning it out every so often.

when you have the baffle in it do you seal it all the way to the bottom and allow water to pass only on the top part of the fuge? or you have holes in the middle of the baffle for the water to flow into the middle of the fuge and comes out from the top....???

• 3 weeks later...
cthedaytrader

my baffle is sealed all the way to the bottom, but it might be a good idea to put a few holes in it. The water just flows over the top of the baffle. Seems to be enough current though

On the ac motor, they are epoxy sealed, so it is safe.

I'm going to be using this same idea on both my 50g and my 2.5g in the near future, I need something to boost my pod population in my 50, and the 2.5 is only using an ac150 and 4#s of lr for filtration, but I wanted to go with the more natural method, with the fuge.

cthedaytrader

Hi,

the motor is not submerged. I only removed the plasitc color the guides the intake tube. What it does is lower the flow some more because there is not as tight a fit with the tube and the motor. It also gives you the ability to fine tune it a bit more.

thanks

chris

Archived