Pod Your Reef

Just what is this? Got pic

Sahin

I have what looks to me like some kind of anemone. It has doubled in size since I first saw it about 8 weeks ago.

It came with my LR and been in the same position ever since.

Is it a pest of any kind? I am hoping to find out what it is before it growth and starts to reproduce.

Well, if anyone has any idea what it is, let me know. Thanks.

It sure is interesting piece of coral.

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by tinyreef

looks like a baby condylactis to me.  sooo cute!  coochie-coochie:p

Please... no coochieing on this site... :P

i also have these majeno anemones in my tank. it started out with one, a hitchhiker about 1/2 cm that hitched on a live rock that i bought. now 1 1/2 year later, it has splitted and splitted into about 20 of them. they multiply by splitting vertically in half. they eat micro algae, the same food that you feed your corals. and they are tough too. they can survive thru bad water.

at first, i didn't know what it was and thought it was cute - this tiny brown anemone. all i knew was that it wasn't aiptasia. now the mom has grown to 1" in diameter. she and her children occupy this whole piece of dead coral rock. i'm beginning to have reservation about them because they can definitely move and spread around in your tank, trying to find a place with favorable current. i haven't done it yet but i'm leaning toward to removing them from my tank soon. but i'm still somewhat used to having them in my tank.

in my opinion, if yours haven't been in your tank for long, and you also haven't gotten used to it psychologically, i think you should get rid of it for the long term benefit of your tank.

It is most definitely an anemonia mojado. It's a bad pest. Take a paste of kalkwasser and inject it. You will need to inject the body with a needle, it won't "swallow" it like an aptasia does. I have them in my 125 gal reef and it will spread like weed, snuggle up to your corals and sting them. Do get rid of it!!

I can't kill them all, but I religiously kalk them monthly. This keeps them under control. If you only have one, say a prayer of thanksgiving and kill it!

Robin

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to attempt killing it tomorrow.

My tank is going well for the moment, and I plan to keep it going that way.

I do agree; it does look cute.

Archived