Coral Vue Hydros

quick green star polyp question

yOyOYoo

I just got some green star polyps from someone I met online.

None of the polyps have come out and none of them were out when I got the frag.

It looks like a bunch of red empty stumps. The guy told me that this was normal and to give the green star polyps a few days for them to all come out. He said if they didn't come out in a week I could get a refund.

is it normal for them to not come out?

where should I place them in my JBJ nano cube? It has 24 watts PC lighting.

*also I have some large green mushrooms, will they do alright at the bottom of my tank?

thanks for the responses.

its actually very normal. sometimes they wont come out in a new tank for 3 weeks! they are very hardy and any kind of adequite light is good. they propogate very easy and spread quickly if given enough current. mushrooms will be fine there. they actually prefer less light and less current so placing them on the bottom is excellent!

well just up to they are VERY hardy so you shouldnt have to worry. when i fist got some gsp i panicked and thought the same but it just fine mine are spreading every where i've had to frag it several times since i first got it.

I got my little GSP frag about 2.5 weeks ago and it's still being fairly reclusive. There have been a couple times when all the polyps have been out, but it's usually only 5-10(out of maybe 30). The base of it looks healthy, so I'm sure it'll come out in time :)

Jon

mine are spreading every where i've had to frag it several times since i first got it.
Man, I must be doing something wrong with the GSP in both of my tanks. My zoos are multiplying and everything else is growing, but my GSP just kind of stays the same. How much flow do you have your GSP in?

i actually have alot of current in my tanks. they dont blow directley on the polyps but right over them. they gro in the direction of the current just like my xenias do.

Hmmm it's been a week already yet still no sign of life coming from my GSPs.

A hermit walked onto the mat of stumps and it didn't look very sturdy.

If the green star polyps never decide to come out, will they rot in my tank?? (it's a 12 gallon) or can I just leave them in there and hope one day, maybe 2 more weeks from now, they will come out?

btw I didn't take too long to acclimate them, cuz I was in a hurry

=(

1. If it might take three weeks, and it's only been 1 week, then yes - you might have to wait two more weeks.

2. If they die, they will decay. Dead things tend to do this. However, it won't likely destroy the whole tank, as you should have plenty of hermit crabs, copepods, etc., to eat and process the decaying matter.

3. There is no way to know whether or not your acclimation procedure is to blame. Stop worrying about it, and try to do better next time.

I have a few zooanthid & xenia grow-out tanks, and I often grab colonies from one and move them straight to another with no acclimation, and it's never caused a problem. But, all of my tanks are pretty similar in SG, temperature, etc.

Maybe my experience with GSP is different than other people's, but I find that the colonies in my high-light tanks (175watt MH or 96watt PC/10gal) spread much faster than lower light (2x32watt PC/10gal) regardless of water flow rate.

Archived