SaltCritters.com

catalina 70w DE bulb issue

moonpod

I know these bulbs don't have the greatest rep, but I just need something that'll light up w/a reasonable spectrum--it doesn't have to stay pretty. Anyways, I got the aromat ballast (ebay) and a 70w DE fixture and the bulb--it lights up alright, but after like 30 -45 mins goes off. If I reset the ballast it'll relight, though. Any ideas anyone???

Idea?... Get a new bulb, they suck. It is not about spectrum or being "pretty", it is that they often don't fire up or in cases like yours, only fire up for a short time.

so this repeated on/off thing is one of the complaints about the bulb? I thought it was more about inconsistent firing. It fires everytime, but won't stay on. Bummer. I've been trying to get the iwasaki 6500k DE bulb, but noone carries it (it exists in the Eye/Iwasaki catalog however). Oh well. Maybe the ushio then.

The reason you guys are blowing them is because you are not using them properly!!! An HQI/DE bulb MUST be run in an enclosure! Unlike a mogul MH bulb, these do NOT have a glass enclosure to shield from UV AND hold in the heat. In order for a MH bulb to operate properly, it must be HOT, HOT, HOT!!! Take a look at EVERY commercial HQI/DE fixture and the bulb is enclosed.

I'd bet a dime to a dozen that people mounting the Catalina bulb in the PFO pendant have zero problems. As to why the other bulbs work in an open environment ... they are higher quality. But they would put out MUCH more light if enclosed.

I've been scanning the 70W HQI threads on here and everyone is running them open ... some even have fans blowing across them! BAD! Place these puppies in an enclosure like the PFO, ReefOptix, or DIY from a Home Depot Rageant fixture and these bulbs will work just fine!

... Just my .02 cents!

Originally posted by luv2jeep

The reason you guys are blowing them is because you are not using them properly!!!  An HQI/DE bulb MUST be run in an enclosure!  Unlike a mogul MH bulb, these do NOT have a glass enclosure to shield from UV AND hold in the heat.  In order for a MH bulb to operate properly, it must be HOT, HOT, HOT!!!  Take a look at EVERY commercial HQI/DE fixture and the bulb is enclosed.  

Umm, Horse ######! /me gives 2 cents back.

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

Umm, Horse ######!  /me gives 2 cents back.

I suggest you go edumacate yourself before posting such assanine comments! Call *ANY* DE bulb supplier and ask if you can run a DE bulb in an open fixture and why ... I double dog dare ya! :rant:

I'm gonna stick my neck out here, please don't chop it off :*( ; but I'm running a Catalina 70w 10K in a Regeant fixture with an Aromat ballast, and everything is working well. It fires right away every time.

Matt

Originally posted by luv2jeep

I suggest you go edumacate yourself before posting such assanine comments!  Call *ANY* DE bulb supplier and ask if you can run a DE bulb in an open fixture and why ... I double dog dare ya! :rant:

I don't need to. Ive run DE bulbs in the open for many hours without any problems, color shifts or loss of output.

My gripe is the fact that your saying,

"The reason you guys are blowing them is because you are not using them properly!!! An HQI/DE bulb MUST be run in an enclosure! Unlike a mogul MH bulb, these do NOT have a glass enclosure to shield from UV AND hold in the heat. In order for a MH bulb to operate properly, it must be HOT, HOT, HOT!!! "

This would be a false statement.

Take a look at EVERY commercial HQI/DE fixture and the bulb is enclosed.

Of course it is. DE's require shielding of UV. Most all are in pendants or enclosed fixtures. Not because they need heat to work.

I'd bet a dime to a dozen that people mounting the Catalina bulb in the PFO pendant have zero problems. As to why the other bulbs work in an open environment ... they are higher quality. But they would put out MUCH more light if enclosed.

Again, thats a crock of ######. Why? Because I had 2 catalina bulbs. Both were fired in the open. One would light every so often, then it finally died. The other lit and and has worked fine since I got it. All on the same aromat ballast. So, your theory means what now?

I've been scanning the 70W HQI threads on here and everyone is running them open ...

Other than testing purposes, care to point me to a link as to who in their right mind would run a DE without some sort of shield? Let alone, running them in the open?

... Just my .02 cents!

Ill give you .25 to stop posting crap.

Kris

These are cheap bulbs. I think that some have made blanket generalizations based on skimming a few threads. I had one not light and the replacement has worked well thus far. I do think you get what you pay for and this bulb is best as a spare or just for short term use.

Back to the original topic: Nope, no ideas on that. Me thinks you will need to replace them. Get a hold of psl and see what they say.

Agreed, everyone including myself, that I have seen has them enclosed in some sort of pendant. Where do you get everyone has them open? Also, when you talk of commercial fixtures, even mogul are covered, mainly because they are outside and need protection from the elements. I mean when was the last time you looked up at a mogul bulb in a parking lot and it did not have a plate of glass in front of it. That is not for heat, it is to protect the expensive bulb.

Got a Ushio bulb--end of problem

I'm using a SLS enclosed pendant--it's from a limited run of 70w pendants that SLS no longer makes. It's enclosed. It's got a UV shield as all DE fixtures should.

The aromat ballast is hooked up appropriately. I'm convinced it was the bulb. What a POS.

agreed... my catalina bulb fired up fine for a week, then bam, it wouldn't even fire at all, then it would fire one day, and not the next day. This went on for a frustrating two weeks. Then it met my trash can. Saving up for a Ushio.

FYI:

150w 6500k DE Iwasaki is available at coralreefecosystems.com

70w DE 20k colorite (BLV/Ushio) is more than likely the "Tunze" 70w 20k bulb--contact Roger Vitko of Tunze USA if you want that one. I'm guessing he sells it direct as a "spare part".

Still hunting for the 70w DE 6500k Iwasaki....

Originally posted by moonpod

...70w DE 20k colorite (BLV/Ushio) is more than likely the "Tunze" 70w 20k bulb...

I think you have it the wrong way around. Most likely the Tunze 20K bulb is a BLV bulb. Look at the picture on the Tunze web site it even looks like the BLV packaging. The Tunze site lists it for $90 while buying hte BLV is half that at $45. Of course you have to order it from the UK or Europe since Ushio America doesn't distribute that bulb on this side of the water for some unknown reason.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...9647#post163250

uh, yeah that's correct, I stated it backwards. And you can try getting it from Europe, but the shipping will kill you. I've tried and by the time you add shipping, you're better off paying the "Tunze" premium. An FYI, Giessemann is introducing a 13/14k DE bulb that may come in smaller wattages as well.

Foo, what did it cost you for shipping?

And I'd guess that the BLV bulb is closer to a 14k just from descriptions...

Actually I paid less than $50 a bulb shipped. My total cost was somewhere around $149 for shipping 3 bulbs. Tunze is a ripoff since they almost double the price!

I ordered 3 since the per unit price with them went down if I ordered 3 or more. Did you check out the web site I ordered from?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...9647#post163250

3+ £26.70 ~ $43.36 USD each

Shipping was £10 ~ $16.24 USD

They also had 10,000K BLV 220501 bulbs (same as Ushio UHI70AQ) but they cost £34 ~ $55.21 so I didn't think they were worth getting from there. But if you're already ordering you could throw one in.

Archived