Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finally getting rid of my CC!!!

bneyman

Well, as another solution to my cyano as discussed in the following liknk: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=17552, after going to Home Depot and Lowes in search or Southdown Playsand to no avail, I went ahead and broke down and paid $25 for a 20lb. bag of dead Fiji Pink sand. I'm in the process of swithcing it out now. I don't know where my LFS gets its employees, but I'd rather beat my head against a wall as opposed to having to deal with them! I asked the MANAGER there if I could but a couple lbs. of substrate in their aquariums to seed my dead fiji pink, after asking me why I wanted to swap out my CC for sand, and I went into a lengthy explanation which I think dumbfounded her, she wouldn't sell me any of their substrate and tried to get me to buy a refrigerated package of FRESHWATER bacteria for $12.00!! :rant: I said no, and she walked off frustrated. Hopefully the LR and remnants of CC I leave behind will be enough to seed it, but if anyone in the area is willing to donate a cup or two of their substrate, I would be VERY grateful!:) Well, its time to start shoveling the CC out, so I'll keep everyone posted! I'm so excited!:teehee:

Well, just finished adding all my fiji pink and LR back into my tank, after the sandstorm clears up, maybe I'll be able to re-arrange my LR back into its regular position!X)

Cham, he didn't find the SD, he said he used a bag of dead fiji pink.

bneyman, it wouldn't hurt to post a request in one of the marketplace forums that you're looking for a couple cups of LS, there's usually someone willing to part with some.

Rinsing SD is stupid. The whole point in SD is the variations in particle size. Why wash half the sand away? If you put it in right you wont have any problems. Mine settled in 2 days.

Most people probably don't want a milkshake instead of a tank. Thats why they rinse it.

There is NO one right way to do things. The whole point of SD is that it is a cheap alternative to a $25 10lb bag of sand from the LFS.

Well to clear it up, I actually couldn't find the SD playsand, so I just broke down at my LFS and paid alot for a bag of dead fiji pink. I didn't rinse it, and you were right, there was a major sandstorm the 1st dat that settled to a milkshake the 2nd, and now, on the 3rd, it's crystal clear!:P I love the way the sand makes my tank look, and so do its inhabitants! The only thing is that I do have to go in once a day and blast off my LR with the trusty 'ol turkey tool, which I don't mind, it makes me feel as if though I get to do something to my tank on a daily basis, besides the regular maintenance. I'll be adding a 2nd PH probably in a week or so, along with a small cleanup crew. Any suggestions????

I know, I just don't like people calling people stupid for no reason. Search on cleanup crew and you will find plenty.

Chamkeeper - M Go Blue! National champs this year!! :)

Archived