Cultivated Reef

Just started 5.5 g!

oogie

After scraping my Eclipse tank you see in my sig due to my wife, I finally got an ok from her for me to setup this nano!

So this is what I have setup so far.

5.5 gallon 'AGA'

6 lbs of 'Nature's Ocean' bagged live sand

3 lbs of Crushed Coral

9 lbs of Fiji live rock from LFS

'Aquaclear 500' HOB as a refugium

'Maxi-Jet 606' for feeding water in to AQ 500

JBJ 'Desktop Formosa' light fixture with 48 watts

JBJ 'Eco Light' light fixture with 18 wats for AQ500 fuge

'Ebo Jagger' 50 watts heater

front.jpg

Do you see any potential problems here?

I would like to hear from all you experienced nano reefers!

This is a pic of Maxi-Jet 606 feeding water in to the AQ500 fuge.

fuge-pump.jpg

As you can see, I just inserted tube in to upside down U shaped plastic that is originaly used to feed water to the AQ 500. And connected Maxi-Jet 606 and it actually creates a very good flow for 5.5 gallon tank.

This is another shot of AQ500 fuge from the other side.

fuge-right.jpg

I think AquaClear 500 is really good for fuge, because it adds lots of water volume. Also when it releases water back in to tank, it elimated dead spot because water is being dropped all the way across the tank.

So now, it has been running 1 week with just LR and LS, so I guess I have to wait out another 2 or 3 weeks, before I can add any livestock.

Thanks again and please comment on this setup!

Finally, someone is using a AC500 for a fuge!! Do you plan on lighting it? Although I dont know why you are using a powerhead on it...why not just use the one it came with (less crap in the tank, no?). It may be too much flow, but there are so many ways to adjust that........?????

Originally posted by wetworx101

It may be too much flow, but there are so many ways to adjust that........?????

No matter what I try, AQ 500 is WAY WAY too much current for 5.5 gallon. I have tried adjusting the flow by sliding intake to left and right. No luck. I have tried to put some sponge pad around to intake to reduce flow. No luck. So i decided to use nice power head to do its job. I think I have gotten just enough flow for this tank using this method.

I was browsing through Custom Sealife's website and came across something called Moon-Lite. Well I thought it was a good idea to have it for my 5.5 tank, so I looked around the web to see how much it would cost. Well it turns out that I can get one for $20. Since I wanted 2 of them, it would have cost me $40 plus shipping.

So I decided to make it by wiring couple of leds together.

I had couple of ULTRA bright white led rolling around in my tool box. I purchased it when I was modding my computer case.

This is where I purchased these leds sometime back.

http://www.ultrabrightleds.com/

Also, I had old computer power supply that was no longer needed. It is small 90 watt PS for MicroATX motherboards.

ps.jpg

Now, in order for me to use power supply without connecting it to computer or more specifically motherboard, there is neat trick thats explained here.

Now, since my PS or all the PS for that matter, puts out 12v. If I take these leds and connect it directly, then led will burn out in less then 5 seconds. So I needed to visit Radio Shack to get some resistors. Now, depending on what type of led you have, you need to get the right resisstor for it. There is a great resistor calculator here.

This is what it looks like after wiring job.

led.jpg

As you can see, I soldered leds and resistor to pc power molex cable. This way I can easily hook it up to my PS.

And this is result!

ledon.jpg

WOW REALLY BRIGHT!

Now, I just need to install these leds in the hood of JBJ Desktop Formosa light fixture I am currently using.

I will post a pic after that is done.

Originally posted by ELGORDOINAVW

do you mind posting a pic with just the leds on i want to see how well they light up the tank-thanks

Sure. I just finished installing those leds on to the JBJ light fixture. I took it apart and drilled 4 holes on the metal casing which goes over the wires and power supplies. I think it looks pretty good. I just need to put it back together and then I will take a picture of it so you guys can see how it looks. Also I will post a pic of my tank with just those leds on later tonite. Thanks.

Ok, couple of pics of what I did to my JBJ Desktop Formosa described on above post.

jbj.jpg

Here is close up of those leds which will act as moon light.

moon.jpg

Now, this is a pic of moon-light in action with flash on so you can see everything clearly.

front-moon.jpg

Here is shot with flash off.

moon-light.jpg

Originally posted by T?@7

Those lights are cool.

Welcome to the 5.5 club!

Cool. Thanks

How long did your 5.5 take to finish cycling?

Just wondering how long i have to wait until I can add something.

Originally posted by T?@7

Mine had 0 cycle.

Man what does your sig translate to? :)

O cycle. hmmmm, that means no cycle?

How come? how can I exactly tell if I am not having any cycle?

Oh, and mi sig is command prompt from Linux.

I do not use MS windows. I use Linux. Thats what it means!

Originally posted by edmund67

Do ur moonlights turn off automatically? do u run them every night?

p.s. how much voltage dose ur moonlight operate at? 5 v?

Well, I am using old pc power supply so, i can use that switch to turn in on and off. Also, I am using 12v for my leds.

Ok, when I visited my LFS today, they had Aquafuge by CPR. It looked so cool I had to have it. They had 2 different model in stock. 18" and 24". So I asked them if they made smaller model, they said "No. 18 is smallest they make!" So naturally I believed them and bought 18 inch model.

But when I checked CPR's web site, they had 12". Well, to make long story short, it worked out good becasue I was able to play with pipes to make it fit on my tiny 5.5 gallon tank. Now i have almost double the water volume. Here is couple of pics for it.

Shot of Aquafuge from front with my JBJ off.

aqua-front.jpg

Here is shots from left and right.

aqua-left.jpg

aqua-right.jpg

Here is shot of macro algae in the fige.

macro.jpg

Thanks

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!!

I have upgraded my lighting.

Now I am using 70W Ballast from PFO and MiniHQ Pendent aslo from PFO.

I haven't really decided on the bulb so I am trying 70W 10000k USHIO HQI and 70W Aqualine AB 10000, rated 13000k.

Here is couple of pics.

Here is frontal shot of my tank.

front-mh.jpg

Here is how I hung the pendant.

mh-pendant.jpg

I also have new freinds in the tank.

Randll's Goby and Bullseye Pistol Shrimp.

Here is pic of randall.

randall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am very impressed by your tank! It looks great. I have been thinking about starting my own 10g tank (freshwater to saltwater conversion in my case). I am primarily interested in the way you have your lights mounted on th top of your tank. Where did you get the kit for that? It also looks like you have an open space in between your lights and the tank. Does that work well for a saltwater tank? Because I know you want to keep a freshwater tank covered. Thanks!

glad to see you join the 5.5 club! your tank looks cool man.so much equipment though......i guess that just comes with preference.i like all natural.but besides that,awesome tank.keep us posted.

Archived