SaltCritters.com

150 Watt Halide, or 250 Watt (Double Ended) Halide?

Monkeyman

I was at Lowe's yesterday checking out the lighting and I found a 150 Watt Metal Halide fixture for $80. All it needed was a cord to plug it in and a chain to hang it from. I also found a 250 Watt (double ended bulb) Metal Halide Fixture that was the same size but cheaper and I was wondering which would work best for a 20 gal long tank? Is the 250 too much? I want to be able to hang it a little bit higher above the tank (More room to work:) ), but I also don't want it to produce much heat. I guess hanging it higher would help, but it wouldn't eliminate the Radiant heat (is that what it's called?) Anyway, I need your help to decide.

Thanks,

MikeB)

I work at lowes and I never have seen a mh fixture that you can hang.

Well, I was going to improvise with the 150 Watt by drilling two holes in the top and putting a hook (with a loop on the end) through the two holes. Then I would attach some chain to the end of the hook and hang it up.

Pics and UPCs please?

I'll try.

what is the kelvin rating of the included bulb?

I'm not sure, but I know it was REALLY low. That's another reason I was considering the 250 Watt, because you could buy bulbs with an Ok kelvin rating for it at lowe's. You know, for when you're in-between bulbs or cycling. With the 150 all they had was really red-orange bulbs.

Mike

I have a 150 over my 10 gal and I like the intensity, but am going for a 20k bulb.

Just keep in mind the heat and evap issues. With the open top and a fan with only the 150, I evap a little less than one gallon a day in a house that is kept @ 70 with AC.

i recently upgraded one of my halides in my 65 gal from a 175 mogul to a 250HQI. The color is identical, and the intensity is just slightly noticeable. If heat is an issue, work with a 150. On the other hand, you will definitely want to replace the bulb. Even with some of the "OK Lowes" bulbs you would almost definately need to supplement with actinics or go with the 20k bulb. I only have a 10k bulb over the 10 gal and hate the yellowish look.

Hmmmm.... I just went to Lowes and they didnt have a 150 watt MH fixture. They had a gigantic 70 watt one. And a 150 watt high pressure sodium light. Maybe that's what you saw. That would explain why it looks almost red.

False trixie hobbit.

Archived