ReefCleaners.org

My Xenia Jungle (10G Nano Reef)

OxInYourBox

OxInYourBox

It's been quite a while since I've posted any pics of my 10G reef so here is a shot of the tank back in January after it cycled after being set back a few weeks by the lovely ice storm that hit most of the east coast. Fortunately I had no corals in it at the time. 1-27-03FrontNoFlashClose.JPG

Here is the tank 8 days ago (prior to some xenia pruning :-P):

7-21-03Front1Medium.JPG

For Lunchbucket and the other SPS freaks out there here is a month old shot of of the digitata that was in my tank in the January shot (albeit in a different spot) along with a few other additions.:):

6-15-03SPSMedium.JPG

I'll have some new shots with less Xenia tonight hopefully. I have all of the shots in Hi Res if anyone would like to see them along with pretty much any other shot of the tank. :)

Tank Info-10G AGA, Remora HOT Skimmer with MJ1200, AC Mini with Ice Probe Chiller, no heater as the tank stays at a constant 80 degrees (chiller on during photo period only), 2x36 AHSupply lighting with Coralife 50/50 bulb and Actinic bulb (had hellolights.com bulbs but I broke both in a freak accident but not in tank), 1 mini jet 606 in upper left corner (EZ DIY holder as the suction cups suck after a few months) , 1 404 in lower right corner. Both are on a Natural Wave Wavemaker. I have a PinPoint PH Monitor for the tank and once I come back from a few weeks stint in Dallas I'm going to start dripping Kalk. I also have a float switch from Phish1.

I used to have 2 606's and 2 404's on the wavemaker along with a HOT refugium but I changed the tank around a bit and removed them and the refugium in lieu of the skimmer and chiller.

I'm debating on going MH on this tank or starting up another and going MH on it. Decisions decisions.

Livestock-a couple Blue Legs, Astrea, and nassisurus snails, Xenia (pulsing and some Pom Pom-Hopefully I can propogate this as well as the xenia as all but the stalk of pom pom (now two :))and 2 stalks (now 4 :) of a different shade of pulsing came from my 2.5 tank.), GSP, Trumpet, 2 Montipora Digitatis, 2 Monti Caps, Capricornus, Stylophora or Pocillopora (I'm leaning towards Stylophora), Misc Acro, Capnella, Pipe Organ, misc shrooms, a few zoo's, button polps (green, yellow, brown), and more xenia.

I think that's all of it. :) LMK if anyone has any questions.

triggerhappy8

Dude, next time you frag that xenia or GSP when it is getting out of hand you can send it to me instead of getting rid of it.

Originally posted by chufa

Do you get waves in the water surface from all that xenia when pulsing? B)

ROFL!

Beautiful tank, Ox! The before pruning photo is why I will NOT put xenia in my nano. I have enough trouble with it in my 46 gallon.

Hey Ox, I really dont want any xenia, but I am REALLY looking for some GSP. Even a small mat would be great. How about a thermos trade for a small green ricordea?

OxInYourBox

:) I'm glad everyone likes it. I'm going to try and get a video of the pulsing as it's impressive to say the least. Whenever I prune I usually give stalks away or put them in my 42G hex which I'm trying to make into a xenia jungle literally. My 10G wasn't planned to become a Xenia Jungle when I added the first 5 stalks back in Feb:

2-10-03FullTankMedium.JPG

However everything took off and became what you see in the pre pruning pic (minus the 2 stalks that I got at a frag meet) most conveniently when I'm gone for a weekend or week. Instead of constantly fing with the tank removing stalks each week I decided to let it go and insert rocks where need be and if possible to make more frags. As far as dosing goes I do weekly 3G water changes and whenever I have to slice and dice vs. the rock method I add a few drops of Lugols. I guess I'll just have to start another tank for my SPS pieces. :) Be on the lookout for the Capnella Alife Jungle. :)

• 2 months later...

Sweet "forest". Say, what happened to that frogspawn in the middle on the right(or is it a hammer)? how sad. I am wondering what type of stress signs it showed before bailing out? Also nice monti cap growth.

Originally posted by birdman204

Sweet "forest".   Say,  what happened to that frogspawn in the middle on the right(or is it a hammer)?  how sad.  I am wondering what type of stress signs it showed before bailing out?  Also nice monti cap growth.

Umm forgive me as I've been drinking (my keyboard skills are a bit better than others :-P) but I don't see a frogspawn or hammer in my 10G pics in the thread nor do I remember having one in any of the pics shown. I did have a hammer but moved it to another tank (as Xenia came in) where it is thriving however none of the pics in the thread includes it. I have hi res versions of all of my pics if anyone would like to see them.

Ox

Originally posted by OxInYourBox

I don't see a frogspawn or hammer in my 10G pics in the thread nor do I remember having one in any of the pics shown.  I did have a hammer but moved it to another tank

Ox

Maybe my glasses need to be checked. I thought I saw a closed up frogspawn or hammer in the first picture, looks like it probably was a piece of branch rock. My bad!

No worries. I had to consult the hi res shot today when I woke up (was seeing doubles last night :)) to double check. I did put in a hammer frag 2 weeks later after the first pic in this thread but moved it into another tank before the jungle shots. :) What you saw was a branching hammer or frogspawn skeleton (I pick them up at the LFS as LR rubble and they rock for adding frags). Good eye with that small of a picture.

Ox

Archived