SaltCritters.com

unusual ocellaris "host"

chufa

I had my ocellaris for 8 months. Since it is tank bred, it has not hosted with anything. I have had some LPS that are common alternative hosts for clownfish, and he's pretty much ignored them.

Well, now I think he's found a "host". A cleaner shrimp! The clown is always swimming in and around and touching the shrimp's whiskers. The shrimp never cleans the clownfish, it just moves its whiskers around. Funny pair, indeed.

pictures chufa, pictures. sure is funnier than my perc that hosted with the water's surface (thus resulting in a final rub that landed it in a cup) or the percs that host on hob outflows and mag floats.

You've sure got an emotionally clingy tank, chufa. That cleaner shrimp seemed to like to host on your forearm last time I saw him! Kind of the equivalent of a dog humping your leg?:)

I had a clown that liked to live in a clump of frogspawn for a while, and then he decided to move into the green open brain that I've got.

Then he went for a ride in the car and died.

My percs love their powerhead as well. Their second choice would be the thermometer that's not far from the powerhead. Silly fish!

Chufa that is an awesoeme pic. Hermie's catching some hang time there!

My perc sleeps with his snuggly thermometer/powerhead combo at night and hangs out under the overhanging blue shrooms during the day or with his bud Osama bin Goby.

Aren't percs the greatest?

My male Clarkii hosts in a hole in the sand surrounded by Xenia frags...so I guess he kinda uses the xenia.

What mine really want is an anemone. :(

Cool guys, I have a couple percs, one hosts in a frogspawn and the other in a caulastrea or my crocea. Its pretty neat how odd these little guys are. BTW both were tank raised.

LITTLEFISHEE

Is there any way to coerce a clown to host? I have a TR clown and I've kept Ricordia, actinodiscus and discosoma shrooms. I've also tried hammer coral, GSP, yellow polyps and a fungia. None of which he notices. Does anyone know what else I can try? I love the relationship, but I didn't was a wild-caught fish.

Archived