Coral Vue Hydros

My new Pom Pom Crab

Sinistard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jenniebutterfly

i want an anemone crab too. has he put down his anomones yet? i heard they do that and sometimes one floats away and they scurry to catch it lol

Thanks for looking, yes they are reef safe and no I have not seen him drop his anemones yet. I heard that they would drop them sometimes when they molt. It would be funny to watch it scurry after its gloves :D

I got lucky I was researching different crabs to put in my tank and I came across the Pom Pom crab on a site a decided I wanted one. I called my LFS and they just got 3 in like 2 days ago they said they have not had any others for quite some time. He cost me 20 bucks which is less then the site had it for :) I guess it was meant to be.

Be very care ful they tend to get picked on by lots of the critters in your tank xD depending on the size just be sure keep a sharp eye on him =) and watch out for those pom poms ... xD can screw your tank if they attach

Thanks for looking; I agree this is one of the neatest crabs I could find. Only problem is he spends most of the day hidden so I don't see him much.

I just noticed this today; I think he is missing several legs. It looks like he only has 2 sets of legs and then his claws. I think they should have 4 sets of legs but I'm not 100% on that. He came this way, if he is missing legs will he grow the others back or is he stuck with 4 legs and not 8.

That is seriously one of the coolest animals I've ever seen! Crabs are definitely decapods (ten-legged), so he probably is missing a few limbs :(

Viking1 --

Please let us know how they do in your 5.5 - if well, I'll for sure consider one for mine!

Domino_tang --

I was going to ask what "xD" was and why I should be worried about it, but I just figured it out X).

Good new, every one I have talked to has said he should grow back the missing appendages :D I guess after a few molts he will start to get them back. Does anyone know how long between molts most crabs go?

I was worried about the poor little guy he seemed to have a little trouble moving around on only 4 legs or at least had trouble carrying something and moving at the same time:| Does anyone have any suggestions on some extra food I could give him to make sure he is getting enough to eat. I was thinking just some frozen shrimp.

davinaster, I live in KC and we had a bad ice storm so my LFS didn't get their orders in but when I get it I will start a new thread on my tank and keep everyone posted.

just wondering how much you guys found that species of crab for. I got one for $12 retail at a pet store that mis ID'd it. I thought that was a great price. Just wondering what everyone else has seen them sold for.

nice pics BTW.

Glad everyone likes the pom pom crab, the only downside to having him is he is very shy. I have had times were I don't see him for days at a time. I think he has made a home in a big hole in some LR. It's funny, he will be in the hole and a hermit will wonder by and the pom pom runs up to the hole opening, shakes his pom poms and freaks the hermit out:D

I payed 20 bucks at my LFS for my pom pom

Six -- Thanks about the pics, I'm trying to get more but he is to shy.

Bad news, my Pom Pom molted and it looks like he lost 2 more legs some how. I don't know if a hermit attacked him but I saw him molting last night and today I found him missing more legs. He is down to 2 legs and his claws, which he holds his pom poms in. I'm not sure if he will make it, does anyone have experience with something like this happening. I made a small plastic tub into an isolation container and am going to try to keep him alive until he can molt again and maybe he can re-grow the missing legs.

He did like the big piece of formula one food I gave him:) I put it in front of him and he went to town on it. At least he is eating; it looks like I am going to have to hand feed him until he regenerates some legs. He has a real hard time moving around on 2 legs hopefully I can keep him alive until he can regenerate some appendages. Here’s to hoping.

Archived