Coral Vue Hydros

Cheap HOB refugium (anyone else using it?)

Mitch619

Anyone else have THIS? I bought the new pump that they had for an extra $5. Total price shipped was $37. I'm looking to make this an awesome fuge for my frag tank or manta ray.

Review coming as soon as I get it..

dsc_071820copy20-20550.jpg

ph101-550.jpg

Anyone else have THIS? I bought the new pump that they had for an extra $5. Total price shipped was $37. I'm looking to make this an awesome fuge for my frag tank or manta ray.

Review coming as soon as I get it..

dsc_071820copy20-20550.jpg

ph101-550.jpg

No, but do let me know how it works out. I used an AC70, pretty heavily modified, in my 3gal pico, and have been happy with it other than its smoked color. It makes it hard to see what's going on in there.

I have one of those and have used it for a while. The flow is not great through it which means you should change the water out here and there. Otherwise it gets gross.

It works great as a fuge. I pit a CF bulb in a desk lamp and used it. My cheato grew like crazy

I have one of those and have used it for a while. The flow is not great through it which means you should change the water out here and there. Otherwise it gets gross.

It works great as a fuge. I pit a CF bulb in a desk lamp and used it. My cheato grew like crazy

Did you have the water pump or did you just use the air pump?

Did you have the water pump or did you just use the air pump?

The pump is rated at 40gph and it is brand new. They just got the shipment on july 10th. I'm probably going to be the first person on nano-reef to try it out.

What's the deal Mitch? Did you hook it up yet? I have been contemplating on one of these for a while. It is significantly cheaper than the CPR fuge. I like that it is bigger than the AC 110 and I can get a lower GPH pump and mod it that way. How many gallons do you thin it holds? 1.5 maybe?

What's the deal Mitch? Did you hook it up yet? I have been contemplating on one of these for a while. It is significantly cheaper than the CPR fuge. I like that it is bigger than the AC 110 and I can get a lower GPH pump and mod it that way. How many gallons do you thin it holds? 1.5 maybe?

it holds one gallon, and no, I'm still waiting on it. I'll post some pictures and perhaps a video when I get it. Not many people know about these. Hopefully they turn out to be a good substitute for the AC70 fuges.

Addressing the flow issue-

Couldn't you put a small pump/powerhead in there and create some flow?

Thats what I was thinking. Based on some relatively accurate measurements the AC110 hols about 90% of a gallon. But at 500GPH I think the flow is too fast. That's why I like Mitch's idea. They sell those Finnex boxes at local PETCO for much cheaper than What an AC110 costs. And this would solely be a fuge. Hurry up and get it in the mail already Mitch!

Thats what I was thinking. Based on some relatively accurate measurements the AC110 hols about 90% of a gallon. But at 500GPH I think the flow is too fast. That's why I like Mitch's idea. They sell those Finnex boxes at local PETCO for much cheaper than What an AC110 costs. And this would solely be a fuge. Hurry up and get it in the mail already Mitch!

LOL :lol: I just got the shipment email. It should be here next week.

LOL :lol: I just got the shipment email. It should be here next week.

Awww man. Well....I might have to just purchase one without waiting for your review. I know the PETCO has something very similar if not the same.

Are you going to mod the intake tube? I'm not crazy about how far it sticks out. Looks as if the tube could be trimmed right at the elbow to make the intake sit closer to the back of the aquarium. What do you think?

Awww man. Well....I might have to just purchase one without waiting for your review. I know the PETCO has something very similar if not the same.

Are you going to mod the intake tube? I'm not crazy about how far it sticks out. Looks as if the tube could be trimmed right at the elbow to make the intake sit closer to the back of the aquarium. What do you think?

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like it sticks out quite a bit. hopefully it can be trimmed without affecting it.

I woud have already had the refugium if it wasn't for the pump! I also noticed they raised the price of the pump to $10 since pre-orders are over...

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like it sticks out quite a bit. hopefully it can be trimmed without affecting it.

I woud have already had the refugium if it wasn't for the pump! I also noticed they raised the price of the pump to $10 since pre-orders are over...

I'm sure it won't take much to mod to how you like it. Sux about the pump, I'll have to pay $5 more now huh? Ill probably end up looking for a smaller pump and hook it up with some tubing that way.

I have had one of these on my JBJ 28 for about 4 months and seems to work good. I added a small Hydor pico pump and while the flow is not great if you have to much it just overflows anyways. I rigged up a bracket, added heavy duty Velcro to bracket and fuge then added a JBJ nano glow light. Cheato grows good, tons of pods and even some coraline inside fuge.

post-71146-1342276761_thumb.jpg

post-71146-1342276855_thumb.jpg

35$ w/ the pump isn't a bad price. Not sure if I like the idea of clear or not. I kind of like the smoked on my AC70. Let us know what you think of flow, it seems kind of low, but then again I like to use my AC70 as kind of another low flow power head.

$66.98 shipped if you get the fuge, pump and light. That's the route I'm going.

I have had one of these on my JBJ 28 for about 4 months and seems to work good. I added a small Hydor pico pump and while the flow is not great if you have to much it just overflows anyways. I rigged up a bracket, added heavy duty Velcro to bracket and fuge then added a JBJ nano glow light. Cheato grows good, tons of pods and even some coraline inside fuge.

Overflows? Where? Back into the tank?

i have the hydor 180 that is adjustable flow, It would be perfect for this, really small too. I might try this on my 9gal cube

I'm considering picking up one of these also, but going with the Hagen Marina version. The Marina version is a lot cheaper so you don't waste your money on a low flow pump like the one you get from Finnex, unless that is what you want. I can't decide if I should go with the Large or Medium, since it is going to go on a ADA 30C and the large will take up most of the back. Anywhoo here is a link to the Hagen Marina, if you go to Amazon.com you'll notice its significantly cheaper without the pump.

http://hagen.com/usa/search.cfm?searchstri...p;y=0&CAT=1

I actually found a few threads on this, surprised this one showed up. Please post some pictures once you get it setup :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=285620&hl=

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=285569

Quick updates:

The price of the fuge has gone down as finnex is now offering the refugium with the pump for 24$. They did this by providing packaged versions. One of them has the air pump, the other has the water pump. Both versions are priced at 24. So no more $10-5 extra for the pump. (I'll be talking them about that as I paid the "pre-order" price and it was supposed to be cheaper for me) Good for you guys though!

Second, the fuge gets here tomorrow. Ill post pics and a brief review the same day.

• 2 weeks later...
Racerfreak- FYI The large sized Hagen one is half the size of the Finnex one ;)

I almost made this mistake. Amazon's listing has them as the same size, but I saw somewhere else that the hagen marine was only 3.25''X5X10.25. I would have been very confused had it arrived and been 1/2 the size I was expecting.

I love this thing. I've had it online for a few days. It shipped so fast that I didn't place my chaeto order from John. I got the aqua pump package with their Fuge Ray LED light. Used tubing instead of the provided hardware. Chaeto and pods will be going in this coming week.

6fc0f618.jpg

L

Fits perfectly on the back of 20L in between the filter and skimmer.

daf7c3b8.jpg

Archived