SaltCritters.com

Open top fluval edge

ulver982

I got an excellent deal on a fluval edge with the top glass piece cracked. I decided I would just make it a sweet rimless open top tank. A razor blade and a little time...I got this:

DSCF1373.jpg

Not sure exactly if I'm going to set it up now or not, but eventually it will be a sweet nano.

Do you think this effects the integrity of the tank as far as strength? I have an edge to that noone wants to buy so if it were safe I might do that as well :P

I don,t know what you call an excellent deal and I don't want to rain on your parade but I surely hope you did not pay much for what ended up to be a 6 gallons rimless tank.

Personaly I would buy a Hagen 21 gallons rimless tank or something similar to have a bit more room as 6 gallons ain't much.

I got an excellent deal on a fluval edge with the top glass piece cracked. I decided I would just make it a sweet rimless open top tank. A razor blade and a little time...I got this:

DSCF1373.jpg

Not sure exactly if I'm going to set it up now or not, but eventually it will be a sweet nano.

I don,t know what you call an excellent deal and I don't want to rain on your parade but I surely hope you did not pay much for what ended up to be a 6 gallons rimless tank.

Personaly I would buy a Hagen 21 gallons rimless tank or something similar to have a bit more room as 6 gallons ain't much.

Excellent deal = free. :)

Do you think this effects the integrity of the tank as far as strength? I have an edge to that noone wants to buy so if it were safe I might do that as well :P

I highly doubt that taking off the top glass is going to alter the strength of the tank.

when ever you do a water test let us know how it goes, i have an edge just sitting around doing nothing. It looks pretty good as a rimless.

Good Luck

• 5 months later...

I had this tank sitting in its box for a long time, so I'm finally getting around to starting it up. I'll be running an AC50 with probably a koralia nano. For lighting will be a RapidLED Par38 with 80 degree optics. I have a set of 60 degree optics too. When I get some livestock in there, I'll play around with the different optics. Here are some pics:

IMG_20110513_111247.jpg

IMG_20110513_111328.jpg

edit: this thread should probably be moved to the members aquarium section now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Wet_Fretboards

Sorry for being an archaeologist, but, How'd it go with this? I'm wanting to get rid of the top on my edge badly, and I'm looking for pics to convince the wife. :D

gearedforacure
Sorry for being an archaeologist, but, How'd it go with this? I'm wanting to get rid of the top on my edge badly, and I'm looking for pics to convince the wife. :D

Let me know if you do this and want to get rid of some of your plastic...Im looking to expand my hood for better lighting.

Wet_Fretboards
Let me know if you do this and want to get rid of some of your plastic...Im looking to expand my hood for better lighting.

Will do.

hamiltonra25

Dude got it for free since the top glass was gone.

Doubt he knows how it happened.

Thrassian Atoll
Dude got it for free since the top glass was gone.

Doubt he knows how it happened.

I do not think he is asking how the glass broke, but rather how the tank is doing/looks these days

Wet_Fretboards
I do not think he is asking how the glass broke, but rather how the tank is doing/looks these days

Yeah, what he said...

Sorry for the lack of updates! Here's some pics!

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

Tank is doing great, I just run an AC50 with a Koralia nano, rio 50, and an ATO. For livestock, I've got an emerald crab and a sexy shrimp.

Wet_Fretboards
Sorry for the lack of updates! Here's some pics!

Tank is doing great, I just run an AC50 with a Koralia nano, rio 50, and an ATO. For livestock, I've got an emerald crab and a sexy shrimp.

Nice, man!

It's just hanging off the back. The only other piece that I'm using that came with the edge (besides the tank) is the base.

I forgot to mention some corals I have in there...green nepthea, gsp, a few zoa frags, a green trumpet, and few rics.

• 4 weeks later...
mattdunn1991

sorry to bump this post but hows the tank holding together? i have the fluval edge for my tropical setup and the stupid opening at the top is getting on my nerves was it easy to remove the top glass?

is the structure of the tank still holding together?

Wet_Fretboards
sorry to bump this post but hows the tank holding together? i have the fluval edge for my tropical setup and the stupid opening at the top is getting on my nerves was it easy to remove the top glass?

is the structure of the tank still holding together?

Do it! Mine is doing wonderfully. The glass on these things is plenty thick. See my Sig.

Archived