SaltCritters.com

My new ZEN 12in CUBE

Galloping Goose

Galloping Goose

Well, the day has come. Im so excited. I finally got my new 12in cube in today and almost imediately proceeded to tear down my TOM MINI DECO KIT 3G and transfer all into my new cube. The cube is made by ADA and is completely rimless...the silicone job is so intense in that you cant even tell thats its there. Just a super clean look, which is exactly what I was going for. All I need to do now is be patient a few more days till the water paramiters get stable and start stocking it up. Let me know what ya all think? Hope I get a seal of approval from NR members.

post-21695-1160176233_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1160176248_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1160176262_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1160176364_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1160176669_thumb.jpg

Galloping Goose

podBoy, I got it from Aqua Forrest Aquarium in San Francisco. Theyre web site is not up and running yet but they do have them in stock along with several other demensions...all of them are the ADA brand and look. I paid $57 for the tank only. Shiping was like another $15 or so to Denver, CO. Or you can simply go to the ADA web site, however, they are usually out of stock there. Here it is http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm

The lights I got on it are 2 seperate clip/screw on type pendants. They are 18w each running 50/50. I am considering getting one more to put in the middle running a total of 3, and relocating or changing the hang on filtration somehow. I think 3 of those lights in a row would look pretty sleek. I got the lights from here http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/NE...s/Shopay00.aspx Hope this helps.

Looks good, very clean looking. How sturdy is that stand/table? Is it top heavy now with a tank on it? Just seems like it might easily sway if bumped into.

Hahah, i was about to order that tank from ADA website. But then i am afraid i can't fit a pair of percula in there that's why i back out. I am glad someone else order it. How is it build? pretty good and sturdy? As far as Seal of approval? I will give you 10 of them. I will stamp it all over the tank. keep up the good work and please post more pictures. that tank is good for coral but can't fit many fishes in it. I really like fishes so i can't go with that tank.

Brian da lion

Looking good. I would get more rock though. Maybe like a big elongated piece that you could stand on a vertical slant, and place all of the other rocks around the base. What are your plans as far as stocking?

You said your lights are 18w ea. but the websites largest is only 13. Is it just a different bulb you put in?

Looks very good. All these little tanks make me wish I set up a series of small ones instead of my one 36g.

Do you have no power head? You may have limited stocking options due to lack of water flow. Those hang on pumps don't do much for flow. But it may be fine depending on your goal. Looks dang sexy though!

EDIT: Dang Sexy!

Galloping Goose

thanx to all for your thumbs up and suggestions. Keep in mind this just got set up last night. I will up the water flow before any livestock begins to inhabit my tank. either with a power head or an external canister filter. if i did that that will open a slot for one more light in the middle.

regarding the light pendants, they are 18w out of the box. i dont know why they say 13w on the web site hum?

I am having one small draw back due to my modern sleek set up. And that is that you need to be fairly carefull about bumping the table. There is no threat of it tipping over, it is fairly sturdy and planted, however it does make the water wake and possibly spill n' make a small mess on the glass.

somewhere down the road (1year) i would like to incorporate 3 of these tanks into a custom narrow metal stand where each of the tanks will be placed above one-another about 20 inches apart (kinda like the black metal candle holder in one of the pics next to the tank) I see this somehow being done out of hollow tubing so the electrical and other wiring would be hidden. maybe a coral tank, sea horse tank, and a ?

so my question to NR members: what type of canister filter should i go for? keep in mind this is only 12x12x12. are there any that I may be able to adjust the flow so i dont create a tornado of water movement? also there are like self priming, manual priming, built in heaters etc. I dont wana use a power head so hoping this canister filter will be enough.

THANX Denny. Denver, CO

Galloping Goose

akbuuur. still not sure? was leaning toward 1 percula clown and 2 citron gobys (small of course) what you think? any suggestions?

you sure you want 3 fish+corals in a 7.5g tank? you could do it with weekly water changes. good choices though. Also, what other sizes did they have? and does anyone think it could hold a hood on top without breaking?

also what part of san fransisco? north, south...?

• 4 weeks later...
Galloping Goose

I have a few new inhabitants and corral in there. I will try to post some pics tmrw. The tank is doing great thus far.

Thats a nice looking tank. Check out my videos - I used a cannister filter to achive true zen with my tanks!

My last tank was a 12" cube as well and I was running an eheim 2028 with an output of 280gph (before losses). I would have even increased to output a little more if I could have.

Cheers,

- Chad

Forgot to add,

Any cannister filter will do the job. Don't buy one with an internal heater - they are made for large freshwater tanks and the heater element is about 200w - a lot more than I would want on my nano.

I modified my cannister filter pretty heavily and added a 50w heater to it and sumbersible halogen lights. I grew chaeto in the bottom compartment and the top was full of LR rubble.

- Chad

I modified my cannister filter pretty heavily and added a 50w heater to it and sumbersible halogen lights.

Can I ask what mods you made and what media you use?

Um, the mods that I was talking about were adding a 50w submersible heater to the inside of the cannister filter and adding submersible halogen lights so that the inside was lit 24/7.

And I didn't use filter media, I grew chaeto in the bottom and filled the top compartment with LR rubble.

- Chad

Galloping Goose

Thanx for the compliment Fish! I have seen your thread and vids before. Youre tank was actually somewhat of an ispiration to me. Yours is trully a super clean look. I have found out after ordering the ADA 12 inch cube that it couldnt be drilled so therefore I gave up and went with the canister filter. I will try to post some new pics today. Thanx again for the compliment.

Galloping Goose

Hi. Ok, here is my update of my 12 inch cube. Since the first pics and the start of this thread I have decided to go with a canister filter (Fluval 305) as the primary source for filtration. My lighting still remains the same (2, 18w 50/50 clip on pendants) I have room for 1 more pendant on the back rim and am' thinking about purchasing one more and puting it there making it a total of 54 watts. I also have since got more live rock and some corals as you can see in the pics. I also got a tiny Tunze pump for aditional flow. There is also a small chromis hiding in the back somewhere. Water paramaters are stable including my temp which is very odd since I have no heater. My temp is at 77 in day and 74 at night. Im still a good ways away from stocking it with coral. I want this to look like a rainbow by the time Im done. Hopefully will get another piece of the rainbow puzzle today by purchasing an open brain or a plate coral. Suggestions and comments always wanted. THANX. Denny Denver, CO.

post-21695-1162849255_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162849281_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162849321_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162849422_thumb.jpg

Again I have to say that that is really a sharp looking tank. How thick is the glass? Looking at your tank, I wish I would have gone with thinner glass on mine because it really looks more like a cube of water than a cube of glass. Also, they did a really clean job on the silicone. Your aquascaping is great and I think that having the tank sit on a pane of glass is a really nice touch.

I know that Amano uses return pipes made of glass on some of his tanks. When kept clean, they are almost invisible - have you ever found them for sale anywhere? Probably pretty pricey.

If you really wanted to drill your tank, have you ever thought of 'unzipping' the bottom pane of glass and replacing it with a non-tempered (or pre-drilled) pane the same size? Again that is only if you really wanted to do it.

Cheers,

- Chad

Galloping Goose

Fish

The glass is 4mm. Besides the ADA website: http://www.adgshop.com/Filtration_System_s/6.htm

Another place that sells ADA products including the return pipes is called Aqua Forsest Aquarium, they are in San Francisco (zip 94115) Phone: 415 929 8883 This is where I got my cube at, cause the ADA website is constantly out of stock. That is a great idea on removing the bottom glass and replacing it with a drilled piece. Something I will probably do in the future.

Archived