Innovative Marine Aquariums

40br High Flow Frag Tank

kinetic

Yes, yet another tank (I only have 2 right now, 1 set up, and this one, I promise).

I picked up a 40 gallon breeder (36 x 18 x 12) from petco for $40 today ($1/gal sale) since it was so cheap. I'm planning on turning it into a frag tank with over 70x turnover and a 250watt HQI light setup.

Plans:

3x Seio 620

Quiet One 4000HH Return to two spray bars

Two overflows at both ends of tank

20L Sump w/ AquaC Urchin Pro skimmer

250watt AquaMedic MH

Livestock:

Zoos and SPS

Very simple =) I'll probably dose Ca to keep up with the needs.

Sounds cool.

BUT, I would get a better skimmer. Why go with AquaC? Do you already have the urchin? If not, I'd look into needle wheels. CSS125 would be perfect and MUCH better than AquaC, IMO. You could go Recirculating, best way for sps IMO, Deltec or H&S would be the other high end choices, but a new player is the New Reef Octopus Skimmer. Supposed to be pretty good with a few mods. Replace that stock pump with an Eheim or Sedra and your frags will love ya ;)

Also, zoos and sps, could be risky, especially if you're doing lots of fragging. Lots of slime from both corals could make them react with hostility.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Long time without an update, I know.

So at the moment, all my tanks have been consolidated into one 40g breeder / frag tank, including my fish.

Flow: 4x Seio 620

Filtration: 2x Tunze 9002 Skimmers, 2x Tunze Nano Filter (carbon and rowaphos)

Lighting: AquaMedic Oceanlight 250watt HQI w/ 20K A/B Lamp

Temp: 150watt Eheim Jager. Desk Fan.

ATO: ReefFanatic Level Controller

Design:

45lbs Live Rock from my 32g Finnex tank under an eggcrate frag rack

Bare Bottom

Stock:

Pair of Tailspot Blennies

Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish

One Flame Angel

Skunk Cleaner

Nassarius, Cerith, Turbo, Trochus, and Astreas

385316648_ee226d9866.jpg

385308583_3160779c0c.jpg

385305374_27276b9774.jpg

416284982_5e3ceef4c3.jpg

416284849_e24046aa30.jpg

I know, the blennies are stressed and hungry, but that's the first day I put them in the tank =) They're doing much better now.

How well do your zoas grow with that lighting?

The zoos aren't growing that much... I think the tank is too clean with the dual skimmers and high flow. They grew like crazy when I had it under 70watt HQI 14K. The tank move was still not too long ago, maybe 2 months, so they may still be stunned =/

In a month I'm hoping they'll start spreading really fast like before. Don't get me wrong, they are growing and spreading, but not at speeds that I was used to in my last tank.

dude, do you have any monti frags for me yet? lol i love monti, i think the mtank's only sps will be monti=easy,grows fast, and comes in various awesome colors

dude, do you have any monti frags for me yet? lol i love monti, i think the mtank's only sps will be monti=easy,grows fast, and comes in various awesome colors

I will have some olive / olive polyps / white rim monti cap frags soon. Maybe in 2 months I will be selling a 5" diameter idaho grape, since I have two huge pieces now.

My leng sy cap and bright orange cap aren't growing very fast though... but I'm hoping they'll pickup soon.

Boo. :D

I hope you have some SPS frags ready soon.

haha very soon. I have a nice acro colony that did a color change on me with the new lighting. The body of it used to be a forest green, with a metallic shimmer. At the moment it has grown about 4 inches, and the new areas have a really nice blue body, green coralites, and green polyps. It's really cool. I also have this "Deepwater brown acro" I picked up at a frag swap, totally brown, and ugly. But now, it's developed this green and purple color, with white polyps! HOly crap this is gonna be one of those brown turned into $$ kind of acros hopefully. I'll show pix soon.

We need to see a FTS immediately.

When the light turns on tonight, I'll post a fts

Kinetic, what camera? The photos are sweet!

The blenny looks beautiful.

Just a Nikon camera. Thanks =) The blennies are great. They're both hanging out together now, it's fun to watch them interact.

• 2 weeks later...
what type of blennie is that! Great photos

-Dave

Tailspot Blenny =) I actually have a pair from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den

Tank looks good....how did you construct the eggcrate shelves? Did you glue o ziptie the pvc legs on?

I ziptied the pvc legs onto it, BUT, they're not very stable. They'll actually slide and start doing splits =(. I"m going to redo the whole shelf soon. Basically make "box" frames with PVC, and then lay eggcrate on top and secure them via zipties. Also going to make it into two pieces, and a bit narrower, because when frags fall underneath, it's a paint to get to. Also it's a bit too close to the glass, such that I can't easily clean the front.

hey kinetic

how long have you have your flame angel? i take it that it doesn't bother your corals right? have it ever eaten any frogspawn, zoos or any sps?

i am looking for a flame angel for my zoos and frogspawn tank now.

thanks,

Archived