ReefCleaners.org

Lighting for a Christmas tree rock

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

Will do re-aquascaping of one of the small tanks, and need to choose place for a large Christmas tree rock with worms:

This is now in 5-7 gal hex tank, mostly sunlit (southern window, direct light).

In 10g tank with 72W PC it could be as close as 4 " to the lights, 1" of them - water. If this is too close, I can place it lower or leave in a hex tank.

I know that generally high light is recommended, only few sources mentioned overhanging rock. BTW, the darker smaller porite survived very low light for a half of the year, but worms were eaten by sharpnosed puffer.

Your experiences?

Thanks.

firefishbrain

it's an sps, as I'm sure you're aware, I would suggest geting some intense lighting even tho it comes from semideep water (I for got but I think 10-30m?? some one verify), the only way to get some nice color outta that thing is mh's tho...

The Propagator

Porites do best under strong current and medium to high lighting.

Those look to be Florida species caribbean porites and Christmas tree worms. Most Florida species porites are either pink tan, yellow, or the tan color your are.

In which case they need a good amount of light ( the porites I mean). They are found in very shallow water in the Caribbean.

AND they need alot of phytoplankton. :) Spot feed them.

Did youget them from a Florida dealer/supplier ?

non-photosynt

I got it from PJ's Pet Stores chain, Canada - don't know their sources.

This weekend I had seen in BigAl's grass-green Christmas tree rock with red wine colored worm's fans. What else variations of color they could be? Just curious.

About feeding - do they need phytoplankton only or some kind of zooplankton too?

May be in the future I can start a rotifer culture, if time allows - is it nutritious or like adult brine shrimp?

Archived