inTank Media Baskets

Any of these fish OK for 5.5g nano?

Robbip

Alright, so in case you haven't seen my other post in General, I am considering getting either a Frogfish or a Scorpian for my 5.5g nano. Now, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to Marine fishkeeping, but these fish stay 4" or under and are fairly sedentary, so logically I'd be able to keep just one in a tank that's 16" long comfortably right? (In fact, somewhere I read on Wetwebmedia that smaller tanks are better for them?)

Anyways, here are the choices I narrowed down...

Clown/Warty Frogfish - Antennarius maculates -– 4” max

Leaf Fish Scorpion - Taenianotus triacanthus –- 4” max

Sailfin / Rogue Scorpion - Amblyapistus taenionotus -– 4” max

Gumdrop Coral Croucher - Caracanthus maculates –- 2” max

I'm wondering, are any of these good/bad ideas? I'm fairly new, so please don't flame and try to be constructive. Thanks in advance =)

/Rob

Wouldn't these fish have a relatively high bioload for that size tank? How would you address that? I see the gumdrop croucher is suitable for a 10 gallon tank according to liveaquaria.com so that may be your best bet.

I'm wondering, are any of these good/bad ideas? I'm fairly new, so please don't flame and try to be constructive. Thanks in advance =)

Messy fishy need more water.

If you can pull off a 10g tank you may be OK.

Not buying from Liveaquaria, although I did check them just for the price (most stuff from them sells similar priced at the stuff from the LFS)

The croucher seems like a good bet, although I think the other scorpions are quite a bit cooler.. as liveaquaria says, the croucher looks/acts too much as a goby, which I think takes away from some of it's uniqueness. Plus, it doesn't have camo colouring :P

haha but thanks anyways.. more suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/Rob

Im sure you have your mind set on these types of fishes. But just some points to ponder, for if it was my tank I would not consider these fishes.

They may and probly will eat ornamental shrimps.

Not colorful and less interest will be drawn from others especially GIRLS.

Some may need live foods to get them to eat.

Venomous so clean tank with caution.

The novelty of these fish wear off really fast.

Did I mention GIRLS wont like it.

But its your tank, Im just sayin theyre not for me. But good luck with picotank and post some pics of tank when it up and running.

Hmm.. good reply mrongi.. although, I'm not using this tank as a gimmick for the ladies ;) but yeah, the ornamental shrimp isn't a problem (not gonna have em). The only thing I find not-so-cool is the feeding part, but I think I can even fix that if they're already eating dried food at the LFS.

I'm still personally waiting to hear some good/bad experiences with any of the fish mentioned above- I wanna hear first hand the problems/benefits with these guys and how I should approach it.

P.S. some of these guys cost a ####load! The bloody frogfish is insane!

Bump... although, unless I get some solid good or bad experiences with these dudes I'll probably make a IOWLR tank (seems like it'll be easier on the bioload as well)

P.S. Seems the only reason people have heard of the coral croucher is because of Liveaquaria! Weird..

Fishfreak218

i have had Leaf fish..

they are alright...

i had to feed them gut loaded ghost shrimp and Damsels.. the cost adds up.. i had 2 of them in a 12g tank.. no problems BUT!

they are soooooo boring i mean.. at first.. they were SOOOO cool... then after about a month.. it was just like... blah...they didnt really do anbything but sit there... BORING

Ah... gut loaded shrimp? My question is, wouldn't the shrimp reproduce or so? Or wouldn't saltwater guppies be worth it? Or- hell, just training them to eat non-live food?

But thanks for the experience! Very insightful... I tend to not get bored of things that aren't very colourful/fast (i.e. my previous FW all-catfish tank o_O) so that's not my concern.

On a side note- are there different "types" of leaffish? Because I'd wanna find the smallest species if possible...

Fishfreak218

there isnt different types of Leaf fish..

when i say these guys are boring.. i dont mean like.. they arent colorful...

they just sit there.. and do nothing.. literally.. besides eating time..

Gut loaded ghost shrimp-

ghost shrimp are freshwater shrimp.. freshwater foods wont keep your leaf fish alive b/c it doesnt contain a certain protein or fat (something like that.. i forget wat it is though)... anyway feed the ghost shrimp Mysis shrimp (you can buy this frozen at your LFS and is basically the only freshwater animal that is nutritional for SW fish)...

ghost shrimp are cheap. it was like $1 for 10 ghost shrimp.. but they werent very nutritional (hence the reason for gut loading them [feeding them mysis shrimp] before feeding them to the Leaf fish)...

i supllmeneted with damsels.. i NEVER got my Leaffish to eat anything frozen. but then again i only tried like 10 times..

Ah, nice nice... interesting enough, my LFS has Leafish swimming around in 1 of its tank... I'll ask if it's eating frozen stuff..

But yeah, thanks for the input.. very insightful!

Go to reefcentral.com and ask around in the FOWLR section and you will probably get better responces. People on this site are pretty much only interested in gobies and "nemo"

Interesting.. I did check out RC and they have some amazing stuff there.. thanks for the tip Brian... and I "kind of" agree with the whole "goby and nemo" thing... just look over the last few posts and very few posts dealing with fish species stray from those 2 fish...

...out of curiosity... are there any 4"+ fish one could recommend into a 5.5g tank? Like, I don't really care for personality/traits, but rather size (for a centrpiece)

Archived