Top Shelf Aquatics

new t5s came in yesterday (pics)

latazyo

well I got my t5s in yesterday and put them on my empty tank

I am actually fearful that this may be too much light

I know the NR.com ers typically dont think there is a such thing as too much light, but I dont want to ruin any corals I may have someday, or the fish

do you think that 6x24 over my 37g is too much

the tank is 24x18x18

t5fixture.JPG

t5overtankoriginalbulb.JPG

I hope you are planning on keeping sps...Thats a lot of light....Your tank doesnt look very tall either...

Make sure you make shady spots for zoas, LPS, softies

nICE Lighting...you have no limits now...keep what ya want ...just do like raptor said when you do aquascape and start you light loving on the bottom and move up...if you start haveing to much bleaching you could shield the light with screening if needed...but as the bulbs burn...I doubt you will have issues.

Good Luck

Izzue

thanks for the quick comments guys

the tank is 18" tall

I am strongly considering removing two of the bulbs and only running 4 bulbs if I see problems

this is my first experience with t5s and so far I like it, but as you can see I dont even have water in my tank...I am used to MH, so this is a new experience

are fans necessary with t5?

Too bad you wont have the shimmer of metal halide....Thats the only reason Id never go to T5's

Set the tank up to see if you need fans every tank is different

proraptor, dont get me wrong, Im still a MH guy, I love the shimmer too, but one thing thats different between this tank and my last tank is that IM married now, and IM no longer allowed to rock over 300 watts of light alone

my goal for this tank is actually to have under 300 total watts (not counting heater)

so far IM not bad

144w light

50w pump

skimmer not purchased yet

froggiebunbun

Adjust the fixture to sit higher on the tank...also it would help with ventation or/and oxygen exchange.

I have 4 t-5s over a 18" 7gallon tank... the light sits about 5-6" above the water surface tho.

I just measured it, it is 24 x 11 x 3.75"

it also has a fan attached to it which adds 1.5" to the length

so the fan would have to stick out of the canopy, but thats ok

it came with mounting legs, but I"ll be hanging it inside a canopy

Archived