Pod Your Reef

let this be a warning......

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

IMG_8508.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

its taking over my life.... :) i spend more time pruning caulerpa, than dealing with all the other aquariums in the house.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i took those pic's when the lights were out. the white tips aren't sexual caulerpa. its the new growth. it says white until the lights come on and then it colors up.

coralgirl365

dang

i just ordered some feather from floridapets i am going to start a little off in the display, but if i can't keep up with it it'll end up just in my new sump i am working on.

BustytheSnowMaam

Has anyone seen that Nova on PBS about what invasive Caulerpa is doing to the Mediterranean Sea? Basically it is taking over and choking everything else out.

Has anyone seen that Nova on PBS about what invasive Caulerpa is doing to the Mediterranean Sea? Basically it is taking over and choking everything else out.

I've seen that, it was my understanding that it wasn't just the Mediterranean but is appearing in pockets in US and Australian (?) Coastal waters. I seem to remember them putting plastic enclosures around these colonies that were popping up and trying to kill them with chlorine gas. Scary stuff.

coralgirl365

yeah i saw that one

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

actually i over feed the aquarium , so i do have trace nitrate levels.

all my other algaes are also thriving. (codium,kelp,shaving bush included) the caulerpa is just outgrowing the others 10 fold. (and the other forms of caulerpa in the tank)

i guess over feeding is the key :) i could stop, but the other macro's would also suffer.

deacon hemp

The one really bad thing about it is,once its there its pretty much there FO LIFE! Unless of course you cook the rock for a long time.

Are you happy with it icy? If you could do it over would you have added grape,and razor caulerpas in again?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i really enjoy the look of the caulerpa. i also enjoy the fact my planted aquarium happen so quickly(figured it would be a year or so before it looked this way)

the pruning is another story. lol

if i had to do it over, the grape would be the only caulerpa i wouldn't add. the razor has been easy to care for but its burried under a layer of grape.lol the feather caulerpa has also been very easy to care for (although its the only caulerpa thats gone sexual in the aquarium.)

my fav caulerpa is the sawtooth/razor. awesome stuff!

travisurfer

id spend a saturday to take a ton of caulerpa out of the tank so that there is only a little bit left. then you can keep pruning it. take all of the caulerpa to your lfs.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i dropped off a kitchen garbage bag "full" of grape caulerpa last week to my lfs. i have a 25g sump below the planted aquarium.

once every 2 weeks it becomes a 25g cube of pruned caulerpa.(which means time to empty it)

my lfs has more caulerpa than they care to have. the owner said, i've dropped off more macro algae in the last 2 months, then he's seen in 15years of being in the business.

i give it away to anybody that wants it, and i still have way too much!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well fosi, i did some pruning today.

thats my 25g tank/sump i removed all algae from yesterday. (took it to the lfs)

the newly pruned mass from my display is so dense the light wont penitrate it. thats approx 2 weeks growth,10 lbs of macro (if left un pruned.) crazy huh?

i think i can afford to part with some of the grape caulerpa. lol

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

I sent you an email.

Shoot back to me with a final shipping price and your paypal addy and I send the dinero right to ya. B)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

when i send it out on mon. i'll find out the exact price of shipping. and let ya know. :)

Archived