ReefCleaners.org

HELP! Unknown deaths!

pico1

Yesterday I did a water change on my 55 gallon reef. I used RO water, reef crystals salt, and seachem buffer. The water was throughly mixed and heated to tank temperature before I added it. This morning I found one of my cleaner shrimps body on the bottom of the tank dead. I thought he shed his skin because there was a large hole where his mouth would be but I tore it apart and I could see the white meat still inside. I tested for PH and it was 8.1 so I added some more seachem buffer and I tested nitrates which were 0. I don't have the second bottle needed to test ammonia so I added some ammonia detox to treat 20 gallons. Nitrate tested at 0. All fish and the clean up crew seem fine and the corals are opening up like normal. I've heard xenia is a good indicator of water quality an both my pom pom and pulsing colonies are acting normal and look healthy. My other cleaner shrimp is alos missing. Water temp is 78 and specific gravity is 1.0245. Please help!!!

here is a link to my tank thread link

shrimp are extremely sensative to salinity changes, if your salinity was off and you did your water change the change could had caused them to go into shock. also, shrimp generally do best in a salinity closer to nsw....1.026....try to raise it a little, your corals will be happier too.

ok thanks. I've heard that hydrometers show the salinity slightly lower that it actually is thats why I have it at 1.0245. I will be able to test it against a refractomer and test all aspects of my water as my reef club meeting is on water quality and testing and its tonight.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
ok thanks. I've heard that hydrometers show the salinity slightly lower that it actually is thats why I have it at 1.0245. I will be able to test it against a refractomer and test all aspects of my water as my reef club meeting is on water quality and testing and its tonight.

every hydrometer is different. it could be correct, it might be low, it could be high. all depends how well it was calibrated/cared for. i'd check it against a refractometer every month if you insist on using one. they do change. salt in the pivot points, or on the needle can throw it out of wack. they are also sensitive to temperature.

hth

debbeach13

Sorry about your loss. I would not add detox - treat for ammonia if I was not able to test and found a problem. You may be adding things to the tank that is does not need. Hope you can get some answers tonight. Good luck

Archived