Cultivated Reef

ac mod link

JPKelly214

Hi,

anyone have a link for a modded AC 50 or 70 or 110 to use as a guge. I've spent ages looking but can't find one.

Thanks in advance.

JPKelly214 and his pal Max the dog.

Hi,

anyone have a link for a modded AC 50 or 70 or 110 to use as a guge. I've spent ages looking but can't find one.

Thanks in advance.

You can get a AC 110 for $33 on line from Big Als. I do not know what size your considering, but it takes about 15 minutes to modify a new AC hob powerfilter and the only thing you may have to buy is some marine goop to stick the pieces in place. Do not use silicone as it will not hold up long term as an adhesive on the plastic. Its extremely simple to make, and all the parts you need to make the fish guard and baffles are made out of the existing included filter media basket.

Basically separate the ends off the basket assembly. SOme models are molded in one piece and flex or hinge at the base to side pieces others snap in the bottom grid.. Cut the bottom grid of the basket so it extends from thre spillway lip upwards to approx 1/2 or 1/4" of the very top of the filter case.

Put that piece aside, now take a side panel and snip off the loops used as handles. Take the left over piece of bottom grid and orinetate the side panel so it can snap on or attach to the bottom grid lengthwise, and cut the bottom grid length wise to fit width of the side piece. YO umay have to remove a tab here and there but its easy with a dykes or knife. Make that bottom piece about 1 to 1 1/4" in width, so what you really have is what would appear to be the original side piece snapped on a portion of the bottom grind, and then snap on the other side panel and snip off lifting loops. YOU should now have a filter media basket approx 1 to 1 1/4 inches in length instead of the full width basket. You need the bottom grid for proper flow upwards from the bottom, but lots of foplks do not use it, and place baffles directly on the bottom of resivoir itself.

NOw place the cut down basket up to within 1/8" or so from where it origially set and snapped on the square lug on the pump impeller cover. POsition the basket / baffle assembly so it DOES NOT engage this tab on the impeller cover. Use hot glue and just tack the filter basket inplace. Then tack the spillway fish /snail guard in place with hot glue. After its cooled and set, you can then apply a fillet of marine goop to secure everything in place. It need not be applied heavy or made continuous, as it does not take much to hold it all there.

While the marine goop is setting up, (bout 24 hours needed before using the filter / fuge) you can take the included white block of foam and stand it on end, and cut it to fit the indside height of the filter case, and then cut it thickness wise so it will fit inside the narrowed down basket. You should eaily get two or even three foam filter pads out of the included block. These are good for mechanical filtration if needed. YOu can also put a bag or sock of charcoal etc in the filter basket, and depending on the filter size you can also place a submersible heater in the larger portion of the case.

If you do not keep the basket / baffle side away from the impeller cover, you will not be able to lift off the impeller cover to access the pump impeller, and then you will have to drain out filter fuge, and remove motor from under neath. Being able to pull the impeller out without draining the filter fuge is nice to be able to do and makes no mess. I use a small piece of bent coat hanger to pull it up and out, and then use a tweezers to pull out impeller assembly.

Any questions just email or ask. Best prices to be found on the AC filters are at Bigalsonline.com...Why pay 45 plus shipping for a smaller HOB plus shipping when $33 plus shipping will get the biggest there is new, and less money for the small ones. IIRC I just gave $22 or 23 for a AC70 and got free shipping at the time I bought it and a heap of other assorted Aqua Clear filters .

Another neat item for use with the AC filters is their surface skimmer. It has an adpater top fit even the AC20 mini, and up to the AC110, and does a superb job of keeping surface film removed. IIRC its about $5 or 6 bucks, and it can be adjusted to balance out surface suctin flow and bottom suction and be made to run without inducing any air bubles or noise....Really good surface skimmer that works super.

planning on doing the AC fuge MOD. questions - What is Marine Goop and where do I get it? I have a 5.5 Gallon AGA should i go with the AC 70 or the AC110? would the AC110 be overkill as far as flow?

planning on doing the AC fuge MOD. questions - What is Marine Goop and where do I get it? I have a 5.5 Gallon AGA should i go with the AC 70 or the AC110? would the AC110 be overkill as far as flow?

Marine Goop is sold in Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Zone, Advance Auto etc in the glues andadhesives section. Its a thick bodied actylic like adhesive / sealant that is rated for use submerged. Its in a blue tube and is very similar to Shoe Goop. I have heard Shoe Goop also works, and they also make a Auto Goop. It oculd all be the same stuff for all I know, but all of the various types do an excellent job.

I personally would not be afraid to play with an AC110 on a 5.5 gal but am not totally familiar with dimensions of that sized tank, so if you had 14.25" of space across the back I would go for it, as there are a lot of ways to cut back on the flow of an AC110. An AC 70 wold probbaly be better suited overall, but I still like the larger resivoir on the 110 models which are good for hiding accesories in and also provide just a bit more water capacity and small skimmers as well.

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. All your contributions, both long and short, are appreciated.

Archived