inTank Media Baskets

salt

darkwaterdevil

darkwaterdevil

what do you all put your salt in? i left mine in its bag in the box that it came in and its puiiling the moisture out of the air and its getting wet

if you don't have a bucket, try getting one of the plastic paint pails at home depot (or equivalent store).

another option (a little more work), is to divide the entire contents of the salt box/container into smaller ziploc baggies.

you can even premeasure it into each baggies so that you instantly get the exact quantity you need for each future waterchange. i.e. you always mix up 1-gallon and it takes 100-grams of salt (i'm just using a fake number here), then weigh up each baggie as 100-grams.

I didnt mean that you bought cheap salt, Im sorry if it came off that way. I was more trying to say that I feel Tropic Marin Pro Reef is the best salt you can buy. I have had good success with it and I havent had any problems with it getting wet. And it is on the more expensive side.

I was more trying to say that I feel Tropic Marin Pro Reef is the best salt you can buy. I have had good success with it and I havent had any problems with it getting wet.

side note: sno, how does tm pro compare with tm-regular? i was not overly impressed with tm. i also didn't like the box. also found the salt too dry/powdery (pers pref).

darkwater, your room condition can also play a big part, e.g. basement, living room, etc.

lgreen, amen to that. Target is where I bought a set of various sized bulk spice containers for 20 bucks that will contain enough salt that comes in a 50 gallon bag. The smaller container is perfect to lug around when you make up your monthly (nano) batch.

neanderthalman

This is an issue that I've fought with for the longest time, without finding a good solution. I've tried tupperware, to no avail. I've tried dessicant packages from pill bottles - no dice. They only success I had was resealing the original bag and then putting it in a tupperware container.

I'm going to try ziploc bags for this new bag of salt.....single batches sounds cool....

I was more trying to say that I feel Tropic Marin Pro Reef is the best salt you can buy. I have had good success with it and I havent had any problems with it getting wet. And it is on the more expensive side.

I agree. That is what I use in my reef aquariums.

Tiney I started with TM regular. Well actually IO then changed to TM and I noticed a diffference. Coraline took off and corals seemed to do better. When I found TM Pro Reef I switched because it is said to be formulated to enhance calcium chemstry in the water column especially if you use supplements like b-ionic, or kalk. Now my corals are thriving I actually have to frag my frogspawn because it is getting very large and infringing on my other corals. I cant really say that its the salt but something I am doing is working and TM pro-reef is part of that equation.

side note: sno, how does tm pro compare with tm-regular? i was not overly impressed with tm. i also didn't like the box. also found the salt too dry/powdery (pers pref).

darkwater, your room condition can also play a big part, e.g. basement, living room, etc.

:huh: also found the salt too dry/powdery :huh:

Tiney I started with TM regular. Well actually IO then changed to TM and I noticed a diffference. Coraline took off and corals seemed to do better. When I found TM Pro Reef I switched because it is said to be formulated to enhance calcium chemstry in the water column especially if you use supplements like b-ionic, or kalk. Now my corals are thriving I actually have to frag my frogspawn because it is getting very large and infringing on my other corals. I cant really say that its the salt but something I am doing is working and TM pro-reef is part of that equation.

i agree with you there storm ;)

I use just some snap containers, and keep the salt AWAY from my aquarium. So far, no problems with caking. On a side note...I too love tropic marin pro. Dissolves just as fast as oceanic, but more balanced. My pH also bumped up to 8.0-8.1 from 7.9-8.0 just from the salt switch. I also noticed that my pocillipora has doubled in size in 2 months as well.

Archived