Cultivated Reef

Are Majano anemones really that bad?

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I've had two in my tank for over 5 months now and they haven't caused any problems nor have they reproduced.

So why the bad reputation? I can't bring myself to kill them. I actually think they are quite pretty!

shivametimbas

i started with one, now i have three. the ones i have arent that pretty. they have all stayed together in a row so far.theres no coral around them though, so they dont bother me at the moment.

There are differnt varients of Majano and not all of them really rank as a "pest". It seems like the general rule is the uglier it is the more of a problem it will be, lol.

Sparkling_Surfer

Dude, I'm a girl :happy:

Thanks for the input! Maybe there are some "reef safe" species that don't reproduce as quickly as others.

I have a few ugly ones also. They have reproduced but there still arent alot of them and they do it really slow. So far they havent bothered anything except for a few zoas.

i was going to buy a rock with one on it but the rock also has SPS so it wasnt like cheap (i dont want to pay $50 for a frikin majano..and i am not ready to keep SPS anyway..[not enough flow] loll.. it was the nice green ones...)

Those little bastards made me tear down my 2.5 :angry:. I had 3 at first, I figured I would leave them alone. After a few weeks without much attention to my tank there were over 50 of them.

I guess its alright in the end though because im back to gathering equipment for my 37. :happy:

I've seen some majanos with spectacular coloration... I guess it's personal preference... I think they're kinda cool... I'd kill some of them if they start spreading more than you like or if they pose a threat to some corals... just keep an eye on them but if you like them and they're not bothering anything why kill them?

Does anybody else have pictures of theirs? I've wondered about these for a while... And I guess that if they don't spread and begin to take over, they're probably no big deal. I have a bunch of button polyps that came with my rock, but nothing like majanos.

Archived