Pod Your Reef

White Oval Critter

reefpeace

I found this critter living in a little hole in my LR a while ago. It never seems to move but I got the flashlight out last night and found it out and about in the dark. I am just curious to know if anyone can ID it from the photo attached. There are about 20 or more legs, the body is oval and very thin, the size is about 1/2" or so long, and the appearance is mainly white. Thanks for the help!

post-17519-1137289841.jpg

chiton

Thanks for the quick ID, bowfront26. I have just tried to do a quick read on them on the net but did not find a whole lot. I looked on the NR forums and found a few hits and it seems that they are nothing to worry about..true/false? Will it get big?

if it is a chiton, i had a couple in my tank never bothered anything. I say chiton just from the pic but in your description you mention legs but chitons are like snails no legs:). how many segments on the shell?

if it is a chiton, i had a couple in my tank never bothered anything. I say chiton just from the pic but in your description you mention legs but chitons are like snails no legs:). how many segments on the shell?

Well, it is small and I can not see it that well since it hides in the rock. It does not look exactly like all of the other Chiton ID's but it really appears to have short legs spaced evenly all the way around it. I can not get a better picture with my current camera. If I was to guess on # of segments, I would say 6.

Here's a picture of a hitchhiking chiton I found a few months back. It's not the best pic, taken through a 12X loupe, but may look a little like yours.

dscn2416medium4ox.jpg

Perhaps what you think are legs are just the white shell regularly interrupted by black markings? BTW, it's not always easy to count all 8 segments...

--Diane

Perhaps what you think are legs are just the white shell regularly interrupted by black markings? BTW, it's not always easy to count all 8 segments...

--Diane

I will try and get a better shot tomorrow and will take a closer look. Maybe I an throwing everyone off with the statement about legs...

Chiton or isopod, then. Does it move slowly, like a snail? That'd mean chiton.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is a way better picture. This guy finally came out under the lights in a place where I could get a good shot. For my own curiosity and education, is the consensus still "Chiton"?

post-17519-1138418560_thumb.jpg

thats a chiton alright - ive got a couple of them too.. You can see them on rocks at low tide at the beach too, and they can grow to 2-3inches in length - good algae eaters :D

thats a chiton alright - ive got a couple of them too.. You can see them on rocks at low tide at the beach too, and they can grow to 2-3inches in length - good algae eaters :D

3 inches :o...I hope it won't get that big in my tank!

sierrafoxtrot1

yeah, ive got two of those in my tank.....i swear i thought they were trilobites first time i saw em....they dont seem to really do anything,just move slowly around the rockwork

Archived