ReefCleaners.org

Just setup my NC6 (pic inside)

mikecoscia

I finally got my live rock from Premium Aquatics yesturday after a little bit of a delay. UPS lost the package and I never got so PA shipped me out a new box, really nice people. It was the kaelini tonga ultra show rock. It was cured already but after two days in the mail a ton of dead pods floated out of them, so guess i need to cure it again. I bought ten pounds plus some rubble for the second chamber in my NC6

Anyway here is a pic of the rock work, what do you think?

DSC00406.JPG

DSC00405.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

I have a few questions tho, which I prob should put in the beginer forum but since I am already here...

1.) I will be doing weekly water changes do I still need to dose when I get corals?

I picked up a crap load of Kent stuff: Iodine, Strontium, Liquid Calcium, Essential Elements, Ammonia Detox, Pro-Buffer, Tech CB part A, Tech CB part B, and Coral-Vite. I know I went a little crazy but I did not want to forget anything that I am going to need for lots of coraline and strong corals. I just got to sit down and figure out the dosage for such a small tank, I guess just a drop or two.

2.)I replaced the stock pump with a mini-jet 606 and the stock nozzle with a y adapter loc-line w/ two heads (one pointed a little up and the other down). The pump is on full blast and stuff moves around pretty quick. Is this two strong of a current?

3.)I have no room to put in a fuge light since I got a 3.18 hood from nanocustoms, so right now the second chamber is filled with live rock, third has pump and heater and the first is empty. Do I really need a fuge in such a small tank to help with phosphate removal or will weekly water changes take care of it, or are those phosphate absorbing bags better?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I am on the right track.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

nice start! looking good.

1. i've had my 40g system up for 15months and i've never dosed anything. just quality salt and large weekly water changes(5g) some dose some dont. you really shouldn't dose anything unless your testing and require it.

2. what ya gonna put in it? way to strong for a dwarf seahorse, probaly perfect for high flow corals. some here have 200-300x turn over.

3 leds are tiny and fit almost everywhere. a few 20000 mdc super bright leds would probably light your fuge. cheato is very good at keeping down nitrates in the tank.

just my 2 cents, nothing set in stone.

nice start! looking good.

1. i've had my 40g system up for 15months and i've never dosed anything. just quality salt and large weekly water changes(5g) some dose some dont. you really shouldn't dose anything unless your testing and require it.

2. what ya gonna put in it? way to strong for a dwarf seahorse, probaly perfect for high flow corals. some here have 200-300x turn over.

3 leds are tiny and fit almost everywhere. a few 20000 mdc super bright leds would probably light your fuge. cheato is very good at keeping down nitrates in the tank.

just my 2 cents, nothing set in stone.

I am just going to get one clown and nothing too crazy with coral cause this is my first time doing a reef setup, done plenty of fish only salt tho.

I have an old LED link that I think I got off from this board....

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

I wonder how one of these work they are water proof and I can just throw it in there pretty easily.

I am just going to get one clown and nothing too crazy with coral cause this is my first time doing a reef setup, done plenty of fish only salt tho.

I have an old LED link that I think I got off from this board....

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

I wonder how one of these work they are water proof and I can just throw it in there pretty easily.

bump

that's just an open link to the page, got a link for the product?

I really don't see the need for a fuge in such a small tank - if you're already going to do weekly water changes, it really wouldn't accomplish much. The LR rubble will help with culturing more 'pods for feeding fish corals, but beyond that, IMO, I have no idea why people try growing cheato in their rear compartments in the nano cubes - even when I tried in the 24-gallon cube, it is such a small area, the nutrient export is very, very minimal.

As icy stated above, unless you're looking for something that is specifically low-flow (like seahorses) it's difficult to have "too much" flow in a reef tank - this stuff comes from an environment that has surges so strong it would throw you into the corals if you're not careful.

My only suggesiton - if you feel a little daring - get a masonry bit (for drilling rock) and use some plastic coat hangers and use that to drill your rock and make some cool structures out of those pieces - the "wall" look is good, but if you can make something that doesn't rest on the back wall you can get better circulation in there and more "depth" out of the tank - using plastic rods you could make two pillars, some crazy valley structures, or anything else your heart desires - and since the rock is smaller pieces, the coat hangers will hold it togather in a very rigid form, making a sturdy structure.

The setup looks great! Love the rockwork. I've never had a chance to work with Premium Aquatics. They sound like they come highly recommend. Keep the photos coming!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived