inTank Media Baskets

Did my shoom kick the bucket?

4251c

My shroom has been attempting to dislodge itself from the rock that it was attached to ever since I put it in the tank. Well I looked 10 minutes ago and he had taken a tumble to the sand "face" first. I noticed white stuff comming out ot's mouth and placed it onto a different rock. Whatever it was in the mouth released and it was white and clear stringy(mucous) . Now he is in a crunched up posistion and still has it's color. When will I know if he just puked it's guts out(literally) or it's a normal whatever. Thanks in advance.

RayWhisperer

Even if it puked it's guts out, it should be ok provided you give it proper lighting, flow, and params. Just put it in an area of med flow and lower light.

It was near the bottom, under pc's that was getting med flow. The rock it was attached to had a bleached goniopora on it. The goni is attempting to make a come back and the param's are ideal. I've moved him up a bit in area of lesser flow. Thanx RW.

RayWhisperer

Goni's are notoriously hard corals to keep. I don't know but, it may be letting out some kind of toxin. Try a water change to see if that helps any.

When will I know if he just puked it's guts out(literally) or it's a normal whatever.

I think the answer is, yes he puked his guts out AND yes it's normal...

:)

Per Sprung & Delbeek:

"The appearance of what looks like tangled white strings being emitted from the mouth or side of the [mushroom] polyp is actually digestive filaments that are part of the mesentaries. These are emitted as a defense mechanism when the corallimorph is disturbed by something in its environment...Physical disturbance as when a fish nips at the polyp or when something falls on it will cause this condition. Rough handling will also cause it, as will sudden change in temperature, water motion, or water chemistry. The condition is a sign of displeasure only and is harmless. Observe to see if it persists, indicating the irritation is chronic. Usually the condition goes away within a few hours."

I've seen this many times in my Discosomas, never in my Rics. IME the condition can go away in minutes...Unnerving, though.

--Diane

Esp. when you see it for the first time, thanks for helping out this Eastern European first time coral keeper. RW, the lfs and my unsmart tookus surely did not know that the goni was on the rock. I'm sure they could've of sold a rock w/2 shrooms and colony of red goni (after a few months when it came back) for 80 easy. I got it for 15 and will see how it shakes out.

RayWhisperer

$15 for a rock w/ red goni is a steal. Nomatter what happens you came out ahead! Good luck w/ it, I've heard that daily feedings are the key to keeping goniopora alive and well. I wouldn't know for sure though.

Im alternating D T's green water and cyclo ground down to juice to spot feed them daily we'll see and I'll update, w/ pix too.

Archived