Pod Your Reef

Im going to switch salt....BEST SALT POLL!

proraptor

Best Salt?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best salt to mix with?

• Instant Ocean
    • Oceanic
    • Tropic Marin
    • Tropic Marin PRO
    • Coralife Scientific
    • Kent MArine Sea Salt
    • Oceanpure
    • Seachem Marine Salt
    • Seachem Reef Salt
    • red sea salt mix
    • hW Marinemix Plus BioElements
    • reef crystals
    • Other...Please post which one you use

Cmon guys lets settle this question once and for all...I didnt include Catalina or any other natural sea water cause Im not a fan of it anymore...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the last poll had instant ocean and tropic marin pro at the lead. which makes sense since IO is one of the cheapest and widely available salts out there and TMP is just one of the best. =) haha.

I wonder if any stores around me carry tropic marin pro....Maybe Ill look online for it...Ive heard awesome things about it

I know Jeff's got it. not sure how far that is from you. and they supposedly price match w/ marinedepot.com (which has it for the cheapest I've seen).

I got my first bucket of OceanPure from Jim at Rainbow Corals (a local online fragger)....He methodically tested several batches and there's a thread over at RC on it.

It works great, dissovles fast, has good numbers, is synthetic, and is dirt cheap.

There is a Jeff's not to far away from me....But then again I guess I could just will call from marine depot since they are like 20 minutes away...

Where can you get this oceanpure stuff?

Just a note about TMP price... Premium Aquatics has it at the same price as Marine Depot, so those looking to ship should probably check shipping costs from both.

"Other"

Bio-Sea (Aquacraft)

i'm also using Marine Environment on my office nano but i'm not as pleased with the extra bottle bs so i'm just using it a bio-sea 'lite', i guess.

it's not my first time using bio-sea and i've always been very pleased with its performance and quality. in the past however, when i switched back to coralife, i've not seen much of a difference but this last batch of coralife seems to have some issues.

i didn't pickup on it right away as i used 1/3 to startup a fowlr (hell, i could use kosher salt on that and get away with it). but after switching during mid-batch from the coralife to bio-sea and me, i noticed marked improvement on two completely separate systems (home & office). just my $0.02

I had phosphate problems with NSW and I hate hauling it around...I also noticed fluctuations in salinity with NSW and I now have an RO unit so I want to mix my own to ensure my salinity doesnt fluctuate.

Archived