Top Shelf Aquatics

My Fisrt Nano Set-up

Fish Stick

Hello nano reefers! Well my lights came in from nanocustoms.com yesterday so I have begun construction of my nano! :D I'll keep track of my experience here. I have been intrigued by nano reefs for some time now and wanted to have a go at it. First off I would like to thank all of the members who post here for the inspiration. Here is what I have so far....

1 JBJ 6G w/ 3.18 PC

25w Hydor Theo Heater

2 MJ606's

I am going to run the heater in the first chamber with LR rubble. In the second chamber I will have more LR rubble and some macro. The third chamber will house both my pumps and whatever chemical filtration I go with. Probably Purigen and PhosGuard.

I am planning on plumbing my second pump out next to the first and run some kind of spray bar along the back wall. I am going to have the pumps alternating flow with a wave maker I have.

Here she is fresh out of the box.....

dscf00304me.jpg

Anyone need 5 Bio-Balls??

Past the point of no return!

dscf00347hq.jpg

I ordered some replacement fans the stock ones are SO loud and they were all chopped up and dinged. Anyone see this before??

dscf00322mt.jpg

I ordered the 2.18 retro kit from nanocustoms.com. I aslo got the 3.18 heatshield. I was a little sceptical about paying 15 bucks for it but when I got it yesterday I was very happy. I would suggest anyone wanting to do this lighting mod to get the heatsheild from them. It makes this mod so much eaisier and clean. Much thanks to nanocustoms.com for their good cheap prices and fast shipping!

dscf00354ge.jpg

The heatshield doesn't have any holes drilled to hold it in place. I think it would be fine just letting it "float" free but I want to secure it so I drilled a couple holes to line up with the stock screw holes.

dscf00369hv.jpg

Nice and clean.....

dscf00376rk.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dscf00383vs.jpg

Well that's all I have so far. I was going to work on it some more but I need supplies and everyone is closed for Christmas! If anyone has any suggestions or comments they would be greatly appreciated!

I bought them off eBay. Hopfuly they are good quality. From the specs the seller had listed they looked okay. Search eBay for "50mm Fan". :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...I finally got to work on my cube some more. I put in my replacement fans that are still kinda loud but oh well...Now I wanted to create a wave effect in my cube. I have bought a coralife wave maker for use with two MJ606s. I have seen that a few reefes have put a MJ606 in the first chamber for more flow. But I wanted to keep the integrity of the three stages and have both pumps operate from the third stage. So I drilled another hole in the third chamber and attached a 1/2" bulkhead..

bulkbeadfrnt1ft.jpg

It is very tight in the back and I had to cut a piece of of the elbow so it would slip on and off....

bulkheadsht7pp.jpg

Now I got a bunch of loc-line pieces to direct flow....I am not 100% happy with it the way it is....I may add some more pieces to get further to the left...

locline0or.jpg

Well thats it for now...I have my LR in a bucket with a pump and heater. I am going now for a bag of LS and I am going to start it tonight! :D

I’ve been following you updates from one of your other postings, looks really good so far.

Once again, best of luck and let us know if there is an increase in your temp reading.

Thanks guys. Rick, your cube is one of the tanks that has inspired me to do this. I am going to keep the LEDs I have another one on order. I couldn't believe it when I fried it...because they were working fine....and I had to go and mess with it and up the power....snap fizzle hiss.....lol. Live and learn. :D

TYVM Shao. :D

I ended up adding another 3 loc-line pieces to get the end farther over and a slot difuser on the first and second outlets. With out them there was no flow to the last outlet. I need a couple more small pieces of LR....

Thanks guys. Rick, your cube is one of the tanks that has inspired me to do this. I am going to keep the LEDs I have another one on order. I couldn't believe it when I fried it...because they were working fine....and I had to go and mess with it and up the power....snap fizzle hiss.....lol. Live and learn. :D

Now I remember reading about your LEDs on O F’s thread. :blush:

I did some experimenting with the stock NC6 LED moonlights, circuit board & switch and was able to make them work by running an old 9.5 volt phone charger power supply into the circuit board. That let me toss the stock low voltage power supply and have a functional switch for the moonlights. I don’t have them installed on my NC6, but I did install them on my old ALIFE 7, which is now a FW planted nano, and it’s working OK. I'm also running a fan plugged into the same circuit board.

Oh yes that's cool. Then you have the switch still on top. I tossed the switch because I am going to have the LEDs on a timer...I can't wait to fix mine...it's like a thorn in my side knowing I messed it up...

Oh yes that's cool. Then you have the switch still on top. I tossed the switch because I am going to have the LEDs on a timer...I can't wait to fix mine...it's like a thorn in my side knowing I messed it up...

Yes I'm using the switch for the LEDs on my ALIFE 7, but my NC6 has the LEDs on a timer.

It took me for ever to find something that would fit in the hole in the hood of my NC6 when I pulled out the switch, but I finally found a black plastic plug that fit.

post-926-1137353806_thumb.jpg

post-926-1137353836_thumb.jpg

Nice...where did you get that? I went through the same delema....For mine I was over a friends house and I jacked one of his kids lego pieces :ninja: ...and sanded it down with my black and decker wannabe dremel rotary tool. Poor kid...I felt bad...but it had to be done. :lol::D

switchplug7ce.th.jpg

Nice...where did you get that? I went through the same delema....For mine I was over a friends house and I jacked one of his kids lego pieces :ninja: ...and sanded it down with my black and decker wannabe dremel rotary tool. Poor kid...I felt bad...but it had to be done. :lol::D

switchplug7ce.th.jpg

I actually found mine laying on the ground while browsing at H.D. :naughtydance:

I think it was some kind of protective cap that came on the copper pipes they had 4-sale.

LOL...Nice find. I was thinking of leaving it off becuase I felt a small draft from the fans pulling air in.....I wonder if the lights would be cooler...what do you think?

Pardon the FTS two days later.....but it is by request now that the water is not cloudy...Nothing to see here move along.... :lol:

011606fts2km.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well...The cycle has come to an end. Another couple days and I will be adding my clean-up crew. There is plenty in there for them to munch on. If all goes with out a hitch I will add my fish in another couple weeks.

I have been thinking about what kind of fish to get and am slightly torn....I have had a Bi-Color Blenny before and he was an awesome fish till he committed suicide. I was thinking about getting another. I have also been looking at the Tail-Spot Blenny or a Midas. I like them because of their beautiful coloring. But I have never kept either. Has anyone had experience with these? Are their personality comparable to the Bi-Color. I know what the book says, I'm hoping for some first hand experiences. Other than that I am thinking about a Purple Fire fish. Any suggestions other than Clown or Clown Goby? Because I don't really want a "Me-too" fish. :lol:

For my clean-up crew I am going to get 3 Astrea Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, and 4 or 5 Blue-Leg Hermits. I may add a couple Margarita Snails depending on what happens with algae. Any suggestions? What has worked for you?

Archived