Cultivated Reef

1.5g Pico Day one setup

RobD

My tank project is coming together.

It's a 1.5 gallon glass tank, from the Ocean Free Closeout that was posted here before. (9"Wx6"Dx7"H)

The sump behind it is 4"D and contains the heater and circulating pump. Within the sump there is also a half gallon fresh water auto topoff tank.

The lighting is 2x13w PC. 10k/Actinic bulbs.

I've had the rock curing for about 3 weeks in a separate container and just added a clean up crew to finish off the rest of the hair algae.

post-4458-1134371526_thumb.jpg

really classy looking build you've made. It'll look great once you have a few select corals in there!

Yeah, smooth lines. Can't wait to see what it gets stuffed with.

hyewiz - I'm using a black acrylic overflow siphon box to move the water from the tank to the sump. The sidewalls of the overflow box are made from smoke black rather than solid black acrylic so I can see if there is air building up inside by shining a light into it from the side. I wanted something that would be inobtrusive while looking at the tank. To get the water back to the tank, there is a MiniJet MN404 with dual returns. they are on either side of the overflow box. Also, the intake of the MiniJet is modified so that a small piece of tubing connects to a solid tube that runs to the top of the overflow. This helps remove air from the overflow, but won't auto start it, if it loses siphon. The intake is also protected by a cover to prevent anything from getting pulled into it.

Brian da lion - Hey! you are right. I put a little patch of them in there to see how they'd do. With how well they're doing, I'm confident that the rock is fully cycled. Hmm.. now I need to figure out some nice landscaping. Any thoughts? Also, since the photo, some of the hair algae I just pulled off by hand.

I'll try to get some new shots up at some point, but it's been a busy week. I'm really looking forward to Christmas Vacation for some time off.

Ah! The weekend. :)

I had a chance to get some frags in the tank, and here's what it looks like.

Here's a couple of "behind the scenes" shots. The mount for the float switch and the plumbing to pump water out of the fresh water topoff tank is removed right now.

post-4458-1134875809_thumb.jpg

post-4458-1134875828_thumb.jpg

post-4458-1134875853_thumb.jpg

post-4458-1134876176_thumb.jpg

post-4458-1134876194_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:D Nice tank!

One question I want to ask did you use skimer?

I used a skimmer on the live rock, when it was curing in a 5 gallon bucket. I had a single 28w PC light that I ran over it 6 hours a day, as well. I haven't used a skimmer on the tank itself.

kind of a noob question....how does your auto top off work? i need to build one for my 10g nano and im just exploring other ideas

An auto top off uses a float switch to turn the power on and off to a pump that is in a fresh water reservoir. When the water pumps in, it raises the switch and the power to the pump goes off. It's really helpful to keep salinity stable.

I had problems with my initial design, and am in the process of redoing it. I'll be sure to post pictures of it when it's up and running and working as expected.

86 the crushed coral man, and get some reef sand.

Yeah, you're right. It's looking even more ratty as time goes by.

you should totaly get one of these, It would free up a ton of space in your sump. just an idea :happy:

I've used other smaller heaters, and none of them are as stable as Ebo Jagger. I've never had an Ebo Jagger lose it's thermostat and come home to a 90+ degree tank either.

I hear ya about smaller, but I don't want to trade off temperature stablility and risk of a meltdown.

Yeah, smooth lines. Can't wait to see what it gets stuffed with.

It's glass too! :D I used a piece of scotchbrite scrub pad and glued it to the back of a toothbrush head for my tool to clean algae off the glass. It's got beveled edges on the top too. Whoever posted about these tanks on sale originally, I owe a big thanks to.

Archived