Cultivated Reef

Clown with ich?

jdavis28

I think my clown perc, has ich. He has 2 very small white spots on his tail. They have been there for several weeks now, and has not gotten any better. Mabye slightly thicker white spots.

The two white spots on his tailfin are about the size of a pin head.

I want to do a fresh water dip for 5min, as per the other post, but what chemicals do i need to put in the dip tank, AND, should I use distilled water?

thanks,

Want do do this tonight or tomorrow so looking for somewhat of immediate help from you nano gurus.

TIM

I think my clown perc, has ich. He has 2 very small white spots on his tail. They have been there for several weeks now, and has not gotten any better. Mabye slightly thicker white spots.

I want to do a fresh water dip for 5min, as per the other post, but what chemicals do i need to put in the dip tank, AND, should I use distilled water?

thanks,

Want do do this tonight or tomorrow so looking for somewhat of immediate help from you nano gurus.

TIM

bump

I'm the same guy as reefer9391

Do you have a cleaner shrimp. Personal use the best water you can get make sure there is no clorine though if it isnt RO

thanks,

TIM

A pic would help a great deal, though perhaps you can give some more details about the size and whereabouts on the fish the 'spots' appear.

Are they on the fin margins?

If so, its probably a viral infection, lymphocystis. Cryptocaryon, aka saltwater ich, is usually never seen on fin margins and is much smaller in size than a viral infection. Crypt is usually salt sized... silimiar to this=

on the fish's fins or flanks, sometime eyes.

Crypt is not going to kill your fish unless it infests the fish with numbers of the spots in the 10's. two is a simple sign of stress being from being newly added to a tank, newly imported, a sign of poor water quality, fluctuating temperature, sometimes even aggression or poor nutrition. crypt is always brought on by a stessor, you just have to find it and fix it. ((this is why recommending medications is not ideal because the stressor is not being fixed with their addition.))

if you think it's crypt, a FW bath will help, though i really would not recommend it unless it is a last resort or if the fish is being QT afterwards. the osmotic stress is stressful in and of itself so much that a fish that is semi-sick can get worse.

If you want to try it, use tap water or whatever you have and buffer it to the same pH level. make sure the temperature is similar, if not exact, to your aquarium. dip for 3-5 minutes, turn off your tank lights and add the fish. leave it alone until your lighting cycle should turn the tank back on (this is 'recoup' time for the fish).

If you think it may be viral, do a search to be sure, there are tons of photos out there. Lymphocystis cannot be cured, like the cold or flu, and will come and go. clownfish, captive raised ones, are very prone to Lymph.

HTH

GL

i have the same problem, expept my clown has about 5 by his top front fin ;)

idk if its normal or bad? they look like white little pimples that pop out of their body

paul,

its a normal reaction to stress. kinda like pimples on humans i guess. ;) though i am glad pimples arent parasites, lol.

proper varied diet, good water quality, stable temperature, and as little stress as possible will help clear it up without the need of medications.

GL

sorry i took so long posting the pics. but here is the best i could do.

too lazy to read the manual for focusing

tIM

another one, i will try to get some mo better pics while u guys reply

TIM

post-17437-1134522193_thumb.jpg

I really wouldnt suggest buying any animal to clean or help control anything.

Unless you want and like a cleaner shrimp, I wouldn't buy one just to clean. There are less expensive ways to get rid of crypt. Plus almost all cleaner shrimp are wild caught still, which means there are less helpful inverts in the ocean where the fish that get infested all the time live.

jdavis-

youre fish is healthy and does not have cryptocaryon. that could be a viral infection, although it doesnt appear to be one. I would watch it and make sure it gets better. could be a nipped fin or numerous other things, but nothing that is going to kill the fish anytime soon.

just work on keeping the fish's imune system as healthy as possible, lots of varied foods and clean water.

I really wouldnt suggest buying any animal to clean or help control anything.

Unless you want and like a cleaner shrimp, I wouldn't buy one just to clean. There are less expensive ways to get rid of crypt. Plus almost all cleaner shrimp are wild caught still, which means there are less helpful inverts in the ocean where the fish that get infested all the time live.

jdavis-

youre fish is healthy and does not have cryptocaryon. that could be a viral infection, although it doesnt appear to be one. I would watch it and make sure it gets better. could be a nipped fin or numerous other things, but nothing that is going to kill the fish anytime soon.

just work on keeping the fish's imune system as healthy as possible, lots of varied foods and clean water.

OK great thanks so much for the good news. I just bought some mysis frozen shrimp and they all liked it in the tank today. I am using mysis, frozen/live brine, flake food, and some small SW fish pellets. any other suggestions?

TIM

what brand of dry foods are you using? (the flake and pellet) not all dry food are created equal. :)

Personally, I'm a fan of freeze dried plankton or other small marine based fare soaked in Selcon or another vitamin supplement. Otherwise I'm almost entirely a frozen food feeder. mysis is awesome b/c it contains omega 3 fatty acids and many other harder to supply vitamins. As for the brine shrimp, i wouldnt feed anything but enriched as there is really nothing nutritional about adult brine shrimp. baby brine are great as they still have the yolk sac attached, but adults have nothing, they are an exoskeleton and water... basicly, there are other, better foods out there to spend the money on. A vitamin supplement would be one of the best investments.

GL

• 3 weeks later...

six

thanks for your help, nemo is doing well now. I varied his diet and kept the water changes up. been rotating flake food, mysis, and small amount of live/frozen brine. all good to go.

thanks for the tips, boy that little guy sure does love mysis. I think that helped out his tail the best. It took about 3wks or so before the white spot completely left.

TIM

• 2 weeks later...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP REFERRING TO YOUR CLOWNFISH AS NEMO. NO ONE ON THIS FORUM WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY IF YOU DONT!!

:D j/k

Glad to hear your fish is doing better. Only actually half joking about the nemo thing though :P . Good luck!

hey if calling a fish nemo allows the aquarist to take better care of the fish, fine by me. :D

tho there usually is a problem when people start thinking of their named fish as people.... like "nemo isnt feeling well", "he's grumpy", and other anthropomorphic nonsense. ;)

Archived