Pod Your Reef

Open Top Tub Reef

Six

Although "nano-reefs' are those 30 g or less, I'd say anything less than an ocean is truely a nano environment. :D That's my excuse. Oh, and I'll have a 10g mantis tank inline with this monstrosity. Eventually.

The plan is to have a main display (100g tub), a refugium (100g), and a sump (100g) system plumbed together which will also incorperate a Carlson Surge Device. I wanted to do an Achemedes Screw, but you know, there just wasn't enough space. :)

The sump will more than likely become a frag grow out tank. I wanted to mod a 4" deep snake aquarium as a frag tank, but it wouldnt be big enough. maybe ill try it. we'll see. Also, there will be a small mantis tank inline. that qualifies the project as a "nano", right? :D

We need to redo the basement this contraption is going into, so right now we've got a 100g tub up, a 5 gallon surge bucket, 2x175 10K, 2x 40W VHO (Actinic and 10K), eheim for carbon and polyfilter (no skimmer yet), and a few mag pumps as extra circulation.

Here's a pic

tub.jpg

the 100g tub.

so far there's a purple tang, a huge sarcophyton leather and misc frags. ill post photos soon. if anyone local wants a purple tang, LMK. he tries to tail slap me when i reach in the tank... not cool of him with that big ol' switch blade on the caudal fin. :lol:

If no one minds that this project isnt a nano, ill keep undating as we progress.

Wow, thanks. I wasn't sure if this project would interest nano-reefers. :D

I heard someone was a pics whore. Here's your fix:

mush.jpg

Blue shrooms, top down photo.

82ea20d7.jpg

linkia that gut burnt by the heater. he's in recovery and doing well. :)

BTA.jpg

Bubble tip at a few years old. Instead of propagating, it just grew and grew! Stung the tar out of my coral, he found a new home.

AAechino.jpg

Our newer aquisition, Blue Echinophyllia species (we think). Was brown, turning blue with pink mouths! :wub:

Sounds like we're adding the skimmer soon. got some nuscience algae that is starting to grow. :eek:

It's all the purple tang's fault! (ilovefishies, I'm in Central Ohio)

Thansk fo all the kind word of encouragement. :)

The linkia has almost totally repaired itself. I'll post a pic this weekend of it. truely amazing.

Installing a CPR model 4 skimmer this weekend as well. I don't need it on my 58 'plant' tank as the macro is taking out everything the skimmer usually takes out. Pretty cool. I feed like a mad woman too. :)

Soon enough we'll be upgrading the skimmer to a EuroReef.

Added a new coral, I had to buy it. Plesiastrea species. Pretty uncommon and utterly breathtaking, although subtle. Pics this weekend! :D

We're down sizing the shrooms and I'll be selling some zoa colonies soon. For those interested, i have a colony of eagle eyes on ebay for a starting bid of $1. Here

• 2 weeks later...

Well the skimmer, a CPR model 4 sump style, was a little hard to modify to fit on the side. the acrylic was poorly molded and had a hole then the bulkhead was lose. we're working on modifying it. its a pain in the butt.

here's some photos for the time being:

Aturbo.jpg

my buddy, mr snaily

aplesiastrea.jpg

cool brain coral, Plesiastrea species.

aazoas.jpg

yellow zoas. they're GROWING!! WAHOO!

• 1 month later...

We finally got the skimmer up and running. it seems to help a good deal on the weeks we dont do water changes on the tank.

I still have the purple tang, hopefully I have a home for him lined up... he eats wayyy too much for our feeding regimine.

I managed to take some top down photos using a 2.5 all glass tank as a top down photographing box.

atubtank.jpg

a general photo

acrazypaly.jpg

4th generation palys from Tropicorium originally. totally unique colors!

azoas2.jpg

azoas.jpg

aprotopaly.jpg

abluezoas.jpg

for you zoa lovers. im thinking of putting together a frag pack once i get frags of each. what do you think?

aechinop.jpg

the echinophyllia a little more colored up than the above pic

aechinopink.jpg

another

afrag.jpg

a tiny frag (1/2") of an inidentified carribean coral we snagged off some carribean live rock. cool looking.

and the current scourge:

arockanemone.jpg

a rock anemone that will not release the rock. it takes up a ton of space. unless you love rock anemones, they are a PITA to get out of an established aquarium

ill get some more hardware photos up when we start changing over the tank to the 180tub.

thanks for looking!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sooo... it's been a good 6 months since I updated the thread. Man am I a slacker!

We still havent gotten the other system up and running. We're repairing some structural damage in our bedrooms and that needs to be finished, so we're on hold for the second project. We do have everything, just not the time nor space.

But, I made a video tour lastnight of the tub. It's in three segments because my camera only takes 2 minute clips (I dunno why). Also, you can see how changing the bulbs affected our coraline growth. It fried much of it and it's slowly growing back. All the rocks used to be mixed colors of coraline. Also, i didn't mention this, but the Carlson Surge on it is also used as a fuge.

Here's the link to the thread I started in the aquaculture forum.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1026471

here's the vids if you dont want to use the link above:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=04C0CE2F34F06F8A

• 6 months later...

So, it's been a few months since I've updated. Here's some recent shots:

coraline alage competition:

acoraline.jpg

I hope the purple beats the brown. that brown coraline is a fast grower though!

apalygsp.jpg

apinkgsp.jpg

apavona.jpg

^ all corals ill be trimming back.

great wall'o GSP:

awallostrars.jpg

pretty funny when the water gets low. survives like Bear Grills.

before:

abanner.jpg

today:

asixysreef.jpg

Thanks guys! :) You can see we had a few casualties- the large toadstool bit it after fragging = me sad. But I've got some awesome pulsing sinularia in its place.

Otherwise things are going well. My skimmer just pooped out, so we actually took it offline. We'll see how that works. I dunno where the purple tang went, or if he's just hiding, but we may be down to a clownfish and a possible watchman goby. So, I'm not too concerned going skimmerless.

That GSP took quite a while to get going on the wall, but now it wont stop. :) Pretty cool stuff.

Archived