Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penthouse tank revisited

ToeCutter

I lost my frogfish a while back, then I pretty much let the "penthouse" tank go.

The "penthouse" is a 5 gallon tank that's built into the hood of my 75 reef.

So, I finally got around to building an overflow/powerhead shelf/redundant water flow suppy.

I pulled just about eveything out for now. I'm gonna re-aquascape and re-stock with corals. I'm not sure if I'll go with a frogfish again or go another direction. It's perfect for a frogfish, since they don't swim unless they have to, and don't need much space.

Here's some pictures of the re-started tank, so people can follow its progress, and maybe it will help motivate me to put some effort into the tank.

Empty tank, new powerhead/overflow setup

post-1817-1133061630_thumb.jpg

lotsa actinic ;) tubing is a Tee off the return pump from sump

post-1817-1133061650_thumb.jpg

top view. Gate valve is another Tee from return pump

post-1817-1133061671_thumb.jpg

The 5 gal overflows to the 75

post-1817-1133061773_thumb.jpg

The most common question I get about this setup is about heat. Generally, heat is not a problem, because the water in the 5 gal gets turned over with sump water before it has a chance to be heated by the halides.

Having redundant flow is key, otherwise, if the gate valve drifts a bit and cuts off flow, the tank will heat up fast.

Next step - LR and corals

How did i know you were going to post that snoop??? Haha.

Toe: I think your tank is begging for some actinic, lol. Nice colonies but its a bit to yellow for my taste :P

it's a really cool idea, I thought about it myself but couldn't get my head around things like how I'd be able to lift the lid on the main tank!

Will be interested to see how things turn out.

Archived