Coral Vue Hydros

Help! Ice Cap 250w MH Ballast

Pakrat

I have an Ice Cap Electronic Ballast for my 20H that I just got. The ballast is less then a month old but isn't working properly.

- 250w phoenix 14k

- PFO Mini Pendent

I setup my MH last month and before now it has worked perfectly for the last two weeks. I came home today and found my MH flickering very, very dimly lit. I turned it off and tried to turn it back on to no avail. It faint buzzes when I switch it on, but does not light up. Anyone know what's going on? Anyone had this problem before?

I have everything wired to spec and nothing has changed since the initial setup.

:( Please help...

Most likely a bad connection. I would check to make sure all the wires are properly connected, and then if that does work, you could unplug the unit, carefully take your bulb out, holding it by the ends with a soft cloth or tissue, and clean then ends of the bulb and the connections in the bulb holder with a cutip and some rubbing alcohol (just get the cutip damp, not wet enough to leave any drips), then let them dry completely (probably 5-10 min) and then put the bulb back in and give it a go.

I have the exact same setup.....and NEVER had a problem.

How do you have it mounted? I have it mounted on their Al heatsink and have a fan blowing on it.....it barely gets warm.

I've even had 2-3 power outtages and it has done exactly what it is supposed to.

There Customer service is excellent, so I first do what LG says, then post over at RC.

Thanks for the quick replies! :D I tried resecuring the connections and adding a contact material between the bulb and the pendent to make sure the connection was good. Still doesn't work. I ended up calling Ice Cap and they told me it was probably the bulb being defective and not the ballast.

The bulb itself isn't damaged in any way, at least nothing that I can see. The glass housing is clean, and clear of any cracks or foreign materials. There were no burns or apparent errors in construction. I Know the bulb was seated properly.

Apparently because of the buzzing sound that it is making because of it "trying" to start the ballast is likely not the problem. Sooo I called up Marine Depot this morning and they told me to return the bulb to them and they'll replace it for me. Since this all happened less then 30 days from when I purchased this stuff it'll happen free of charge. Quite friendly people from both companies, and I’m quite satisfied thus far. I'm hoping all this will be back up and running before my tank finishes its cycle. fingerscrossed

~Brandon

Archived