Coral Vue Hydros

Adding to our tanks

Xytrix01

We have like 1 day left to have our systems running and entered, and I have a problem... I have lost my dimond hole saw. I can't find in anywares!!!

So here's my queastion. Can we add a sump (in the custom category of course) after the fact? I wouldn't be restarting the system @ all, just adding more volume later in the contest. I read the rules again, and I can't find anything about upgrading equiptment partway through.

any ideas?

Excellent question! I'm curious about this as well. I'm currently using a HOB but am contemplating building a small sump in my stand. Watching with baiting breath...... :unsure:

I sure hope we can... I've got some other ideas for how to drill it ( I have other tools) but it scares me. I hope we can get a ruling tonight!

On a more pleasant note I got my lighting and hood finished! YAY!!!

Blind Tree Frog

I was thinking (and I could be wrong as been shown so far) that you had to have your display tank displayed by saturday, but it could still be set up after the fact.

I'd like to know this aswell as the HOB I've bought (the absolute only one available in the UK) is rubbish. The pump on it is so noisy that I don't think that I can live with it for too long.

I'm going to get the tank runnning using it but if it's OK I'd like to try to DIY a replacement over the weekend.

Best regards

Ann

Blind Tree Frog
I was thinking (and I could be wrong as been shown so far) that you had to have your display tank displayed by saturday, but it could still be set up after the fact.

To expand upon this, the way I read the intent of the rules, judging would be based on improvement of the tank. So swapping things in and out and stuff goes (within the rules) didn't seem like a problem as the tank would be judged by the end results of the tank and thus growth of the corals.

So if you keep swapping stuff in and out until the last minute, who cares because the corals at the end won't show enough improvement that the tank would really shine. But if you have say one head of mushroom in the beginning and it spawns to 10 by the end, then you're going to score well on the judging.

That was my interpretation though, I could be horribly horribly wrong.

Well, I got the tank drilled. I had a holesaw that was too small and I started with that, then I used the dimond sanding drum on my dremel to enlarge the hole to the point that I could fit the bit in the hole. I then ground out the hole to fit the bulkhead. Gosh was I nervous throughout the whole thing. I've never drilled anything that thin before, not to mention with the wrong tools! I still don't have a proper sump setup, so I hope we can add later. If not, looks like I might end up with my 5gal saltmixing bucket as a sump!!!

Well, back to work!

Ok, I got everything done, but now there's a new problem. The silicone I used to attach the overflow/skimmer box takes 48 hours to cure, and I put it on last night at like 11pm. So that means that even by tonight it would still be leaching toxic acids into any water I put in there. My only thought is to set it up, but only fill it halfway. Then after the silicone cures I can fill the rest of the system... It's not a restart, just adding more water. At least that's how I see it. What does eveyone else think?

Tanks need to be setup with water in them TODAY. Make sure you see the upcoming CHECK IN threads posted later this afternoon.

You will be allowed to tweak/add equipment in the custom category for a while still. I WILL be throwing a zinger at you custom diy tweakers at some time by making a date where no more new equipment (except replacements due to failures) can be added. This will be much like the no more livestock rule that will kick in later in the contest.

I will give at least a weeks notice before pulling something like that. It will also be a little while. I totally understand that there are alot of people in the custom category that like to tinker with their projects and they are sort of never finished.

Blind Tree Frog

Aww, I would only have had 2 days to drill my tank, both of which day I was without transportaion if I needed to buy anything, like a sump. No fair :(

(not that I was thinking of drilling my tank, but since I didn't know I was custom until 2 days ago, I'm just saying.... you can ignore me now)

oh well, with this new info, do I buy a pump and move back into the stock category or just deal with the only self contained tank in the custom category (well, one of 2 self containted tanks)

Archived