ReefCleaners.org

At my wits end with Algae

realhiphop

I’ve had my tank up for way over a year, and I’ve been dealing with algae at most points. The past year I’ve been dealing with bryopsis. I’ve read thread after thread on this stuff and honestly don’t know what to do.

Here’s a list of what I’ve tried:

• I run my CPR Bakpak skimmer 24/7

• 10% water changes every week

• Pulling the bryopsis off the rocks by hand

• Strict feeding of my clowns (I basically only feed them twice a week and each time it’s only a few flakes, I’m certainly not overfeeding)

• Changed my lightbulbs

• Cut down my light cycle

I honestly don’t know where to proceed with this algae. My tank is small enough that I would be willing to take the rock out and leave it in a bucket without light. What are some of my options of getting rid of this stuff? How would my two clownfish handle me taking the rock out, than reintroducing it to my tank?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Tridachia crispa, Lettuce Sea Slug. Be careful though, they can starve to death if you can't keep the algae growing. I had it all over my tank and, though I can't say they were the ones for sure, it started to disappear when I had some Keyhole Limpets introduced. Didn't think they grazed on bryopsis but some limpets supposedly do.

I am using RO/DI water from my unit at home. The water is testing at 0 PPM. I know that I probably have phosphates in my system, but they are testing at 0 since the algae is probably using them up. I use Reef Crystals salt, I've used IO and Tropic Marinn to no avail.

are you using crushed coral for your substrate? or are you using live sand? i had a tank with crushed coral and i could never get rid of the algea until i got rid of the crushed coral.....after i did this i have never had a problem with algea in any of my tanks.

Bluemorningwind

1. Change your flow. Direction, strength, etc on a regular basis.

2. Increase your partials to 30%

3. Clear your rock and sand of detritus regularly.

4. Be open minded and try new animals and techniques.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, no one has a silver bullet for byropsis. It's the worst. I don't think anything will eliminate it completely, but I've found a combination of corrective measures will cut it back significantly.

Keep up on your water changes, and don't miss any. If you can afford it, try changing up to 10% every day until you get the problem under control.

Add Seachem Purigen to your filter improve/maintain water quality. It doesn't cost much, and you can regenerate it with bleach.

Add a floss filter if you don't already have one. Even small pieces of bryopsis can take root, spreading the problem and making it worse. You want to filter them out of the water ASAP.

If you have a really bad infestation, you can try manual remove. It won't solve the problem, but will dramatically improve the look of your tank in a short time. Don't bother trying a toothbrush. Use tweezers to pull it out by the root, or a wire brush in a Dremel to pulverize it. Remove the rock from the tank, and rise it off well in seawater before you return it to the tank. You don't want any loose pieces getting back into your tank.

Add more snails and hermits. They won't eat much, but they will probably eat a little and help to keep it short and under control.

Add a tuxedo sea urchin. It will definately eat bryopsis as it goes after the coralline algae on your live rock.

You can try a sea hare or a lettuce sea slug. Some people have reported good results, when they don't get sucked into pumps.

Finally, you can try raising you pH to 8.6, and holding it there for a couple of week. That's a tough one to pull off (and I never have), but if you can, it should cause the bryposis to brown out and die back.

Good luck.

not sure if it will help but my algea problems have almost disapeared after making my fuge all i have is capula in there but the algea in the main tank has droped quite a bit

• 1 year later...

Check for silicates. If you have them or not get some phosguard 100ml put in first chamber.. if algae and silicates are not at .02 by the fourth day, change it out and replace with a new one until the silicates are gone. If at the end of the next 4th day the silicate are gone you can leave the phosguard in there for another 10 days and then replace again. Phosguard is amazing and will ultimately improve your tanks water a million times over.

Test for SILICATES.....

I'm trying something I read somewhere about boosting Magnesium levels in the tank for a few weeks and that will kill it off...

this is in experimental levels right now.

I'll let ya'll know.

Archived