inTank Media Baskets

Who has algae eating fish?

SLOreefer

ive got some red stringy algae on the rocks, nothing eats it, ive got about 4-5 of every snail out there, my water is pgreat. nitrates4 or 5 , my source ro tds very low bla bla bla ive been doing htis for about 7 years its none of the usual suspects.

so what small algae eating fish do you guys keep in your nanos? i know algae blennies and stuff but lookin for some other options that you guys have had experience with. was htinking some kind of blenny or something.

being mainly a nano-guy since ive started dont have much experience with many fihs. what do you all think?

ive got some red stringy algae on the rocks, nothing eats it, ive got about 4-5 of every snail out there, my water is pgreat. nitrates4 or 5 , my source ro tds very low bla bla bla ive been doing htis for about 7 years its none of the usual suspects.

so what small algae eating fish do you guys keep in your nanos? i know algae blennies and stuff but lookin for some other options that you guys have had experience with. was htinking some kind of blenny or something.

being mainly a nano-guy since ive started dont have much experience with many fihs. what do you all think?

Does your red algae look like this?

IDPlease-Closeup.JPG

Solid/sturdy, sticks to rock, hard/impossible to rip off.

If so, it's Anotrichum Barbatum, which especially thrives in "clean" water.

Nothing eats it, carbon won't get rid of it, and skimmers/phosphate-removers don't impact it.

I ended up finding every piece of rock it was growing on, and tossing them.

You can read more about it through horror stories on reefcentral.

Have you looked into a sea hare? I think it pretty much eats most of the algae out there. The only thing is you gotta find it a new home after it's done or it'll starve. HTH.

ya some of my rocks have that stuff, ohwell looks like i cant get rid of it till i upgrade...uh oh did i just say th u word? ahh crap

Have you looked into a sea hare? I think it pretty much eats most of the algae out there. The only thing is you gotta find it a new home after it's done or it'll starve. HTH.

Honestly--I had a sea hare and Shrek didn't do diddly squat to my algae...eventually I stopped seeing him graze and took him for dead. Not the toxic little guy people made him out to be though, I didn't even notice he probably died...didn't show with my corals either.

Archived