Top Shelf Aquatics

How much water does an empty Nanocube really hold?

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I may be getting in "trouble" with the anal housing people in charge of my dorm because my fish tank is a whopping 2 gallons too big. I don't see where the big deal comes in because I buy my own water, and I take care of all my tanks (and the schools' 8 aquariums!!)...anyways, when I first filled my NC up with water, I'd say that I only got about 9 gallons of water in the tank. Nanocube's false advertising may save me (and my roommate) a lot of hardship (i.e. moving my tank BACK home, 8 hours away). What is your experience with this?

Originally posted by the frag master

the 12 really holds 12  but filled with water it really holds like 8 or 9

you mean filled with rock and sand and coral..not water right??? i would think that if it was completly empty it would hold 12g. and if it had LR, sand, and coral...then it would be less..8-10g. is my guess

Sparkling_Surfer

I've been researching this after I posted...

Posted by bobbyb323 on 01-24-2004 09:21 PM:

Actually I measured the tank including the filter area. It is exactly 10.56 gallons. When figuring out water volume use this formula: W x D X H / 230 = Gallons. There's 230 cubic inches of water per gallon. The glass of the tank is 13.5" wide, 15"deep, and 12" tall so

13.5x15x12=2430/230=10.56 gallons.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...volume+nanocube

I'd like more answers like this (if it is indeed true) :P

Its closer to 9.6 G.

They chose to market it at the Eclipse 12, since they knew they could never knock down AGA's 10g. (Can you say millions of copies sold?)

The JBJ is the #1 selling 12g tank. Lol.

Hope this helps.

Sparkling_Surfer

Do you have proof for this? I'd like some hard evidence (such as calculations or an official statement)...

Thanks so much! You give me hope :D

Sparkling_Surfer

Thanks guys.

The head RA came in today and said that our RA didn't know what a 10 gallon tank looked like. Of course they weren't smart enough to write down the name of the tank and look it up online : We told her that it "held less than 10 gallons" and she signed our room check paper. So we're clear!

Yay!!! Now I have ONE less thing to worry about in my life........

When I first got my 12, i filled it all the way up to the rim of the tank, without any sponges, pumps, bioballs or anything else and it did hold more than 11 gallons. But of course when I closed the lid, some of the water overflowed, so I'm not sure exactly how much water it can hold with the lid closed.

Archived